"No Expiration" Means "Expirable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"No Expiration" Means "Expirable"

Thought I'd post this humorous tidbit here on a Friday afternoon. The following is lifted form an email I received today. (Names & details have been omitted to protect the guilty, although it's easy enought to figure out who sent it to their customers)

" In order to streamline our program, we are announcing a change to (our mileage program) miles earned before July 1, 1989, also called Miles With No Expiration.

Starting November 1, 2012, these miles will automatically be converted to Miles Subject to Expiration, and..."

Now I know bankruptcy makes you do strange thinks, but this is getting about as Orwellian as it comes.

In their defense, they did offer a 25% bonus when the miles are converted, but that still fails to mitigate the underlying offense IMO.
    Last edited by JohnH; 07-13-2012, 04:20 PM.
    "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

I would hope you've used any miles earned before 1989 though!

Comment

No, there are a couple of airlines I only fly as a last resort, or whenever I need a transaction to keep the account active & nurse it along. With this particular airline, I think I'm going to find a reason to use up my miles as soon as possible.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I shouldn't have spoken too soon....I just got an email from them saying I have 784 pre-1989 miles!

After the 25% bonus, maybe I'll have enough for a gift card or something. I don't use that airline much anymore either.

Comment

Another possibility

Perhaps those folks have some insider knowledge from the Mayan calendar folks and the upcoming events of December??

FE

Comment

Hey, I like that explanation. It's much more palatable than explanations ending with the words "duplicitous", "unreliable", or "untrustworty".

Which makes me ask another question. Why did the Post Office find it necessary to change the design of the "Forever" stamp?

Comment

Actually, it seems there are a few 'forever' stamps out now. I've gotten the Liberty Bell and flag ones.

Comment

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                Actually, it seems there are a few 'forever' stamps out now. I've gotten the Liberty Bell and flag ones.
                More than a few - almost ALL of the current first-class first ounce stamps (about sixty per the usps.gov website) are being issued as 'forever' stamps. The only exceptions are the two designs that are being sold for more than the current first-class rate to raise money for charity (breast cancer and wildlife). In addition, there are now also 'forever' postcards and stamped envelopes.

Also the proper terminology is Forever(R) stamps. Apparently the USPS has a trademark on the word 'forever'.

Comment

Inquiry

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                  What's a "stamp" ??

I do remember collecting them in the dark ages.....

FE

Comment

Working...
                  X