Filing for client who died in 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing for client who died in 2012

I am filing the TY2011 return for a client who died in 2012, before filing their return. They will have no tax liability or refund, but did have $53,00 of sales through a brokerage firm. An executor has been appointed by the court and I have copies of that paperwork.

Can the executor sign the 8879 and we electronically file or do I need to follow another procedure?

Thanks for your help.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

I need to know too

My client who died in a given year filed as deceased but jointly with his wife for the year before and the year of death. She signed as surviving spouse and we efiled and everything went well.

I'm guessing that your late client isn't filing jointly with anyone so I don't know the answer but I need to find out because I do have a client who died this year and I still have his return for 2011 and obviously his return if any for 2012. He was married but separated and I don't think his would soon have been x would agree to file jointly with him and their only child is grown (though she did live with him and receive all her support from him) so he's looking at MFS.

Comment

Has Form 56 been filed? I believe that should be filed first, but I'm uncertain as to whether there's any necessary waiting period between filing the Form 56 and e-filing the return.

Comment

I don't believe a Form 56 is required for a court-appointed executor, but it is required that the court document be attached to the return. It is not something you can atttach to Form 8453.
        Last edited by Burke; 05-31-2012, 05:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by erchess View Post
          I'm guessing that your late client isn't filing jointly with anyone so I don't know the answer but I need to find out because I do have a client who died this year and I still have his return for 2011 and obviously his return if any for 2012. He was married but separated and I don't think his would soon have been x would agree to file jointly with him and their only child is grown (though she did live with him and receive all her support from him) so he's looking at MFS.
          His executor or personal representative (whether appointed by the court or not) has to sign on his behalf. If there is a court apptmt, it must be attached to return.

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
            I am filing the TY2011 return for a client who died in 2012, before filing their return. They will have no tax liability or refund, but did have $53,00 of sales through a brokerage firm. An executor has been appointed by the court and I have copies of that paperwork.

Can the executor sign the 8879 and we electronically file or do I need to follow another procedure?

Thanks for your help.

LT
            Yes F56 also should be filed.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your replies.

LT
              Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Working...
              X