RTRP test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTRP test

Was thinking, that even though the testing requirement isn't until 2013, I was thinking if I went ahead and took the test in 2012, it would take care of the CPE's for 2012, but I can't seem to find if that is actually allowed. Does anyone know?

Continuing Education

Taking and passing the RTRP test does not earn any continuing education credit.

The continuing education requirement is totally separate from the test.

You can earn 10 hours of CE credit by taking an exam prep course. You earn this credit by taking the course. Most exam prep courses have a course exam at the end of the course, and you have to pass that exam in order to get the 10 hours of credit.

If you pass the course exam, you get the 10 hours of credit, regardless of whether you take the RTRP exam in the same year, and regardless of whether you actually pass the RTRP exam.

You still need the other 2 hours of ethics and 3 hours of update.

BMK
    Burton M. Koss
    koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Super Mom, I believe I see where you are going

Super Mom, I believe I see where you are going. I assume you are an EA and why not kill two birds with one stone and add the RTRP to your EA. The topic of an EA adding the RTRP has been vetted galor on this website. I would take the RTRP exam if I knew for sure if I failed the RTRP, I would still hang on to my EA. Personally I think the IRS should just give us (EA's) the RTRP certificate.

Comment

EA and RTRP

A-Z Tax wrote:

The topic of an EA adding the RTRP has been vetted galor on this website. I would take the RTRP exam if I knew for sure if I failed the RTRP, I would still hang on to my EA.
        Yes, this topic has been extensively debated in this community.

Just a couple quick clarifications:

The original post in this thread is not very clear. I did not see anything suggesting that Supermom is already an EA.

She wrote:

I was thinking if I went ahead and took the test in 2012, it would take care of the CPE's for 2012
        This is the part that doesn't quite make sense. You cannot earn continuing education credit by taking the RTRP test. You can earn CE by taking an exam preparation course.

But not if you are already an enrolled agent. The IRS has made it very clear that an EA cannot earn CE credit for taking an RTRP exam prep course.

Finally--

To my knowledge, the IRS has not published any written guidance that explains what would happen if an enrolled agent took the RTRP exam and failed.

However, the regulations that govern the entire EA licensing program do not contain any provision for revoking the license due to failing the RTRP exam. In other words, there is no regulatory authority by which the EA licensure could be revoked on this basis. To be sure, the IRS has the authority to suspend or disbar an EA from practice. But they can do so only for cause, and there is a due process that they must follow.

Brad Imsdahl of the Tax Book has gone on record on this message board, saying that most or all of the staff of the Tax Book are enrolled agents, and that they have taken and passed the RTRP exam. He has also stated that if an EA fails the exam, they would not lose their EA license.

In casual conversation, it may be reasonable to characterize the RTRP exam as a "subset" of the EA exam. But that's not what it is. The RTRP exam is not Part 1 of the EA exam, and it is not "Part 1 of the EA exam plus some questions about Circular 230."

To be sure, the two exams have something in common, in the sense that much of the subject matter tested in the RTRP exam is also tested in the EA exam. But the questions for the RTRP exam were not drawn from the existing EA exam. They are two totally different exams that happen to have some topics in common.

Suppose a licensed physician took the exam to become a physical therapist, or a registered nurse, or an EMT. And failed that exam.

Would the medical board automatically revoke his license to practice medicine?

BMK
        Last edited by Koss; 05-16-2012, 07:14 AM.
        Burton M. Koss
        koss@usakoss.net

Comment

I didnt catch Brad's post. Good to know.

Originally posted by Koss View Post
          Brad Imsdahl of the Tax Book has gone on record on this message board, saying that most or all of the staff of the Tax Book are enrolled agents, and that they have taken and passed the RTRP exam. He has also stated that if an EA fails the exam, they would not lose their EA license.BMK
          I didnt catch Brad's post. Good to know. If the designations were EA (equilavent to RTRP) and EA II (equilavent to EA), I woudn't even consider sitting for the RTRP but its the Registered Tax Return Preparer that flat out describes my major profession. I know there are those on the board that believe the EA on the bus card generates questions but it also generates confusion especially for prospects who may pick up the EA's card at a Postnet. Bottom line, it can only be an advantage to add RTRP to your EA on your business card. Ok, so I give up Netflix for a while and study and I cut back on my Burger King trips to pay for the exam. Could also be healthy for me : )

Comment

EA failing RTRP test

Here's a link to Brad's post from 03/05/2012:

Primary Forum for posting questions regarding tax issues. Message Board participants can then respond to your questions. You can also respond to questions posted by others. Please use the Contact Us link above for customer support questions.

Brad does not cite a specific authority or source, other than a general reference to Circular 230. But he appears to agree with my assertion that there is no regulatory authority by which the IRS could revoke an EA license due to the EA failing the RTRP exam.

BMK
            Burton M. Koss
            koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Imagine that

As taken from Brads post:

As for the reason why an EA would want to become an RTRP, it is no different than why a CPA would want to become an EA, or one of the ACAT credentials offered by the Accreditation Council for Accountancy and Taxation. Multiple credentials help establish that the professional is proficient in several different areas of taxation and accounting. It shows the professional is more skilled and experienced than “minimally competent” paid preparers.

The CPA obtaining an EA was the comparison I used for an EA obtaining an RTRP but someone in particular on this board jump all over me about this is not the same. Well, ties my ears to ant hill and spread my face with peanut butter...quote from our late Jim Nabors, Gomer on Andy Griffin show.....yes, you are correct, it makes no sense to me either just a quote I cannot get out of my head.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone, not an EA, just thinking the expense of the test this year vs the CPE's--I'm a small preparer. I see now that I must have both, will check in on the exam prep with the 10 CPE's. Good information, thanks!! Any recommendations on a company you like for that exam prep with the CPE's upon examination (don't want to spend alot)

Comment

Exam Prep Courses

The Tax Book

TheTaxBook is the #1 fast-answer tax publication in America. Our publications provide fast answers to tax questions for tax practitioners!

APlusCPE

BMK
                  Burton M. Koss
                  koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Drake -RTRP Course

Drake offered reviewal course for CPE hours in the past but I noticed this year they are charging $40. per course. They are also offering this year the prep course online for taking the RTRP exam. I believe the charge is $99. Being 74 now and 75 in January, do I really want to do this? I think us old people that haven't taken a meaningful test in 50 years should be exempt from this one. Anyone agree?

Comment

RTRP Exam

Unenrolled preparers are effectively "exempt" for a little over two years.

The new regulations were announced long ago, and the exam became available late last year. But you can wait until the end of 2013 to take the exam.

That should be enough time for anyone to prepare for the exam.

BMK
                      Burton M. Koss
                      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Those looked great Koss, thank you! Because of issues that arose this tax season with schedule F, was thinking of going with NATP's Schedule F prep, it has 8 CPE's, know would still need the 3 updates and 2 ethics, my question is finding tax law for only 2 CPE's because all I see is bundles for the 10, any advice there?

Comment

Question

zeros wrote:

Being 74 now and 75 in January, do I really want to do this? I think us old people that haven't taken a meaningful test in 50 years should be exempt from this one.
                          Zeros, are you still doing returns by hand?

No, wait a minute... you made a reference to Drake software.

Are you enrolled as an ERO? Or are you seeking a hardship waiver from the e-file requirements?

I am not being facetious or sarcastic, and I am not making fun of your age.

Even some younger tax pros may have a case for exemption from the e-file requirements if they are in a remote, rural area that either does not have high speed internet access, or the only high-speed service available is satellite-based, which is expensive and notoriously unreliable.

And then there are those in the Old Order Amish communities.

What I'm really trying to say, zeros, is that if you've been doing taxes for 30 or 40 years, and you have adapted to new software and electronic filing, you'll probably do just fine on the RTRP exam. I know some seasoned tax pros who have passed the exam without studying for it at all. They have spent their entire career preparing for it.

BMK
                          Burton M. Koss
                          koss@usakoss.net

Comment

CE Courses

The Tax Book offers several courses that are four hours:

TheTaxBook is the #1 fast-answer tax publication in America. Our publications provide fast answers to tax questions for tax practitioners!

One of them is New Tax Law, which qualifies as an update. Because it is four hours, it could arguably satisfy the two hours of update and the additional two hours of federal tax law that you are looking for.

The Tax Book also offers a two hour ethics course.

The update course that is listed on the Tax Book CPE page has a ship date in January 2013. That's because it is an update that will cover changes to the law that affect the preparation of 2012 tax returns. So it won't be ready until next year.

But there is a previous version of this course that covers preparation of 2011 tax returns. It is probably still available. You should call the Tax Book to find out.

All of the other courses offered by the Tax Book have ship dates in September. But if you don't want to wait, many of those courses also have current or previous versions that are available right now, if you just give them a call.

APlusCPE offers several courses a la carte. They have a two hour ethics course, a three hour update course, and several courses that are two hours that would satisfy the federal tax requirement.

You may e-mail me if you'd like more details.

BMK
                            Burton M. Koss
                            koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
                              A-Z Tax wrote:

But not if you are already an enrolled agent. The IRS has made it very clear that an EA cannot earn CE credit for taking an RTRP exam prep course.

BMK

I am an EA, andI thought that taking the RTRP prep course would be a very good review for all tax laws. I emailed The Tax Book, and they told me that the review class WOULD QUALIFY AS CONTINUNING EDUCATION FOR AN EA. Now you mentioned that it would not.

??????

Comment

Working...
                              X