Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can, Will or Has a 1099-C follow a 1099-A?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can, Will or Has a 1099-C follow a 1099-A?

Client received a 1099-A for 2011. Is it probable client may also receive a 1099-C on same debt still for 2011 or 2012? One of my other clients recieved a 1099-C for 2010 with a cover letter dated Jan 2012 for credi card cancellation of debt so no 1099-A preceeded.

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Client received a 1099-A for 2011. Is it probable client may also receive a 1099-C on same debt still for 2011 or 2012? One of my other clients recieved a 1099-C for 2010 with a cover letter dated Jan 2012 for credi card cancellation of debt so no 1099-A preceeded.
    #1 client: It is possible to still get a 1099C. But if the debt is already cancelled your client needs to find that out- then file the year it happened. But they can wait (sometimes up to 3 years) to actually cancel the debt. They may think they can get the money or it looks better on their books to not cancel now.
    #2 client: That seems strange to me to back date it.
    JG

Comment

Originally posted by JG EA View Post
      \
      #2 client: That seems strange to me to back date it.
      Don't think "back date." Think "late filed." If individuals can file their 2009 tax returns two years late, why can't lenders file the 1099-A/Cs two years late?

Sadly, it happens way too often.

Comment

My client received a 1099A on a rental property that was abandoned. It was sold by the bank, so I reported the short sale resulting in a big loss for the client. No 1099 was received. I told her to save the refund . She will definitely need it when the 1099C arrives.
        Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Brian, how did you obtain a short sale price from a 1099-A?

Originally posted by Brian EA View Post
          My client received a 1099A on a rental property that was abandoned. It was sold by the bank, so I reported the short sale resulting in a big loss for the client. No 1099 was received. I told her to save the refund . She will definitely need it when the 1099C arrives.
          Brian, what did you use for the asset "sales price" since it was a 1099-A? Box 4 FMV?

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
            Brian, what did you use for the asset "sales price" since it was a 1099-A? Box 4 FMV?
            It was short sale and the selling price was on the 1099A.
            Everybody should pay his income tax with a smile. I tried it, but they wanted cash

Comment

Working...
            X