Tax Software Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Software Advice

Need some input on tax software. I have used Pencil Pushers and Tax Relief software in the past. They sold out so I have been trying different packages over the last few years. Used TaxAct last two years, great software but e-file is a bit expensive. Any suggestions on software would be appreciated. Have a client base of 150+.
    Thanks for your input in advance.

I use ProSeries, only because I am too busy to learn new software. It has worked fine for me since 1989 when I first started using computers for returns rather than those NCR forms.

Some of us remember the good old days before computers, when you would finish the return, call the client, and they would say, Oh I forgot about this 1099 bank interest for $25. Is that a big deal to add to my return?

Comment

Tax Software

You should try various software programs. Call several companies and they will send you their complete 2004 programs to try. One of the best ways is to select maybe 10 or so different returns that you did last year and enter them into the program you want to check. You will learn more about that software than just looking at it generally,

Then you should get with a program that meets your needs and STAY with it. The EFILE cost of TaxAct was one reason I did not go with it. You will find that more and more tax software companies are including unlimited efiling with their programs. Another factor you need to consider is whether you want to efile direct or indirect to IRS. Other than mentioning efiling I will not go into that as I assume you have been efiling indirect thru Tax Act.

Finally one thing you need to keep in mind is expressed by a quotation I picked up at the first IRS forum I attended:

"Tax Software is no substitute for Tax Knowledge."

For you more seasoned preparers please note I did not mention the software that I am using. Ken in Arizona why dont you spill the beans?

Comment

I have used ATX for many years. The program has improved in the past years and e-file is included for the federal and state. go to atx.com for info.

Comment

Pencil Pushers

I remember using Pencil Pushers for a few years. I use ATX now and like it. I may even get brave enough to efile business returns now that it's included in the price. Call several companies to send you their 2004 programs. Enter in a bunch of your typical returns and a few at the out limits, too. See what meets your needs, including your budget. Good luck.

Comment

Tax Software

I agree with the other posts. Each one of us has diffrent requirements and likings.

I also use ProSeries and like a lot of it's automatic process. Tax returns have become so complicated it gives me peace of mind. What I didn't like was their charges for e-filing and I seriously considered using ATX. This year ProSeries offers unlimited e-file included if you pay right away.

Good luck.

Comment

Software

I have used ATX (Saber) many years ago but changed to Orrtax which had a Taxworks program called TaxView which I have used for the last couple of years. I like the program but price wise couldn't go with them this year. I sign up with TaxSaber and have been working with their demo this summer.Please with the software and can't beat the price.I know I've been told to pass the cost along to the client but you can only pass along so much before the complaints start.I try to charge a reasonable price so I look for a reasonable priced software.

Comment

I used TaxAct last year and understand the pain of their large e-file fees. Whether the client pays them or you pay them, it still really comes out of your pocket or hurts your business.

I looked up the ProSeries Basic and for about $450ish you can do unlimited tax returns and the first 200 e-files (200 federal and 200 states) are included in the price. Each additional e-file is $3 - not sure if that's for each fed and state or not. With that price you get the software for 2 states - each additional state is an extra fee.

I figured out that ProSeries Basic was cheaper than TaxAct once you hit about 75 returns. The first 75 returns would average about $6 in software expense - basically the same as TaxActs e-file fee.

I have only used the demo for ProSeries Basic but was told the software ran very smoothly last year for the preparers I chatted with. Check it out and it may be all you need.

Comment

Tax Software

Pick one and stick with it. During the Traditional to Roth four year period I had three different software programs because they sold out or I switched. It was a rough period of time. Learn to use every feature and accept it won't be perfect. I have Ultra Tax. It is spendy, but nearly perfect. Good luck. Drake users seem to be as loyal as a St. Bernard.

Comment

Tax Software

I have used TaxWorks by Laser Systems. Their Asset Manager can't be beat. The e-file I have noooo problems with. Their management reports are one of the best.

Kurly

Comment

tax software

I have used Drake Tax Software for over ten years and I love it. It cost $995 and
                      has free electronic filing. It functions very fast and has NO save button or procedure.
                      It saves data automatically. It prepares all multi-state returns automatically. Every
                      year it gets better.

Comment

Tax Software - TaxWorks

My experience last year with TaxWorks was appalling. I had been warned but thought they had improved enough. The asset manager was nicely arranged --but assets needed to be saved after each entry or the enire, quite powerful computer system would crash. The update in late April finally allowed me to manually override a critical field in the MA return - but it still didn't complete the return properly meaning that I had to manually fill-in part of the federal and state returns. (MFS, Sch E phase out of loss allowed doesn't apply to MA but couldn't override the 0 carried over from the federal return). Tech support was pleasant but without correct answers for several issues and the programmers fed them dirt for responses. The list continues, but my contract won't.

Comment

Drake

I have been using Drake for 5 years now and I love it. It is not perfect but it does what i need it to do. My bigest complaint is that the manual they send out is just like a big book that nothing corsponds with the index. If you are willing to look over that fact the program is great and the support is top notch.

Comment

Tax software

Okay Chief I'll spill the beans. I just checked in for the first time in a long time. Anway I also used Pencil pusher for a long time and really liked them but they sold out to prosystem FX and after a few years Prosystem just got too expensive. I then switched to Taxslayer pro and I have to say, I wish I would have done that A long time ago.They are reasonably priced and the one price includes EVERYTHING, including ALL states, business, E-filing, EVERYTHING. And it is the most user friendly program you will find anywhere. I cant say enough good things about that program.
                            ken

Comment

Different strokes for different folks

In the past 20 years or so I have used Drake, Lacerte, Orrtax, Am-Tax, Tax Slayer, Petz, Turbo Tax (before it became pro series) and a host of others too numerous to mention. In most cases I switched because the software company priced itself out of my league or my practoce morphed into an unforseen direction.

Presently I use ATX because 80% of my practice is Offers in Compromise and only ATX has those forms for all states.

Comment

Working...
                              X