Payroll Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Payroll Software

I currently do only one payroll and it's for a church where the pastor is the only employee. I would, however, like to do more payroll although I only want to do it "after the fact".

I used Busieware last year with no probs. This year the probs were started by my not getting around to installing when I got the installation disks and then misplacing the disks. On the other hand, I was dismayed by my inability to reach them when I realized I had a problem. However, when I did finally get a callback they straightened everything out for me.

A few years back I had one payroll to do and it was for an S Corp that against my advice treated everyone as a contractor. I bought Tax Slayer Books to do the 1099s and found it to be clunky.

I have set up an account on SSA business site but I didn't get around to using it this year because my probs with Busieware got ironed out. The only thing I know I don't like about their site is that you frequently have to reset your password. I'm going to start another thread about password management.

I wonder if anyone has any other stand alone payroll options I should consider or any comments on what I should use. My thinking is that I would like to buy from a larger company with more than two tech support agents and I wouldn't mind paying a few hundred bucks to get more agents and no better software. I mean, this time my probs were self created but all software can have a problem so for tax related software tech support to be unavailable on a Friday and Monday in April just blows my mind.

A-T-F Payroll

Erchess- I've been using CFS Payroll for years and have been real pleased with it.
    The tech support comes from California 1-800-343-1157
    Last edited by Uncle Sam; 04-20-2012, 01:51 PM.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I use QB anyway for biz clients who give me their QB files to prepare their returns, so I use their payroll. It's pricey but easy, with dedicated support in TX during biz hours and not-dedicated but support 24/7.

I've heard good things about Medlin, a privately-owned company with a low price.

AccountantsWorld has Payroll Relief with one price for unlimited or a lot of payroll clients.
      Last edited by Lion; 04-21-2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Drake has a free client write up program that comes with their tax software. It will handle federal and some state forms. It won't print the state 941 forms but will do the SUI forms.
        In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
        Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Thank you all

Since I use the PPR version of Drake I don't any longer get CWU but I didn't like it when I did have it.

QB is a complete accounting suite which I don't need or want since I don't do accounting. The same goes for Medlin.

I am looking at the Accountants World product. I am initially turned off by its being on the cloud instead of on my computer.

I have looked at CFS but will look again. I don't particularly mind the total price for what I want but I dislike it being divided into modules separately priced.

I would love to hear any further ideas.

Comment

We use a program called Winfiler by Greatland. We've probably used it for more than 10 years. I think it is found at Greatland.com. Not sure of the price. We haven't had to call support very often. But, they were very helpful when we did.
            You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Payroll only. No internet connection required.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveO View Post
                Drake has a free client write up program that comes with their tax software. It will handle federal and some state forms. It won't print the state 941 forms but will do the SUI forms.
                It does print the 941s. You have to update each quarter however.
                JG

Comment

I would recommend Medlin. Although they do have other products available, they have payroll as a stand-alone and it is easy to use, and the company stands behind their product, and are easy to reach. It is very affordable if you only do one or two payrolls.

Comment

I, too use Medlin for my payroll clients. It's very easy to use and only costs $55 each year. Also bought the MICR add on a few years ago to be able to print paychecks on blank check stock. It was a one time charge for this add on. I wish they would offer direct deposit as an option but for for the cost per year it works for me.

Comment

Medlin

I am not, after all familiar with Medlin. I was thinking of a free alternative to QB that I found somewhere that I found out somewhere else contained spyware. I will have to look again at them.

Comment

Working...
                      X