Filing as Surviving Spouse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filing as Surviving Spouse

I know you can efile a return signing as surviving spouse. But you have to select a PIN for the deceased? Software is requiring one for both TP's. 8879 has places for 2 signatures, TP & spouse as a result.

I just always use the deceased last 5 digits on that PIN line and the spouse # on that PIN line.

Always goes through - You might also need the Form 1310 completed for Fed and associated State if there are refunds.

Sandy

Comment

So, surviving spouse signs on both lines of 8879? Will have her do so anyway. I don't think 1310 is required for surv sp.

Comment

I agree Burke dont need 1310 for survivin spouse. Just have her sign both places and efile

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
          select a PIN for the deceased? Software is requiring one for both TP's.
          If I enter DOD, there is no request from software for PIN of deceased. And agree, no 1310.

Comment

agree with BP. If you enter the date of death in the personal section of the data entry process, the 8879 will print out with "filing as surviving spouse" on deceased spouses signature line.

Linda, EA

Comment

Let software handle it

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
              agree with BP. If you enter the date of death in the personal section of the data entry process, the 8879 will print out with "filing as surviving spouse" on deceased spouses signature line.

Linda, EA
              That's what I've encountered. The same verbiage also is automatically generated on the relevant "signature" line of the Form 1040.

The spouse only has to sign once.

And there is certainly no need for any Form 1310 under these circumstances.

FE

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                Linda, EA
                Yes, it did so on the federal. It did not on the state. Probably a software correction needed. But it still made me select a PIN.

Comment

Working...
                X