Delay in refund

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delay in refund

I hear some taxpayer's refund will take longer to receive this year. It has not happened to any of my clients until a few days ago. This gentleman called and told me the online refund status said his refund will take another month to be sent out due to "delay in processing". It does not give a specific reason though. He keeps asking me for the reason. So, what possible reasons can I give him? I don't want to tell him I have no idea at all.

Originally posted by Questionguy101 View Post
    I hear some taxpayer's refund will take longer to receive this year. It has not happened to any of my clients until a few days ago. This gentleman called and told me the online refund status said his refund will take another month to be sent out due to "delay in processing". It does not give a specific reason though. He keeps asking me for the reason. So, what possible reasons can I give him? I don't want to tell him I have no idea at all.
    Have seen this same msg for some refunds. Keep checking online, as the delay often shortens, a date is produced, and then the date changes to a progressively closer one. At least, that has been my experience with some refunds this year.

Comment

I can think of someone who he could call that might know why the IRS delayed his refund. Though I imagine that someone is likely to send him a letter telling him why anyway. If they need more info or something, anyway.

Comment

Who could it be?

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
        I can think of someone who he could call that might know why the IRS delayed his refund. Though I imagine that someone is likely to send him a letter telling him why anyway. If they need more info or something, anyway.
        Is it me? Cause I got a client who thinks I know the time it will take for her check to go from Wartburg, TN to Kansas City, MO, then to her bank in Oak Ridge.

I love how they think we know everything.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

questionguy

I would simply explain that once YOU EFILE it you have NO control OR knowledge of what IRS does with return and/or refund - we have a "schedule" or refunds but it is NOT a guarantee .....

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
            I would simply explain that once YOU EFILE it you have NO control OR knowledge of what IRS does with return and/or refund - we have a "schedule" or refunds but it is NOT a guarantee .....
            Yes, this. Once it's been sent to the IRS, unless you're doing bank products or something, the issues with the refund are between them and the IRS. Sometimes I'll help out, conference call the IRS or whatever, but there's no way for you to know why the IRS has or hasn't issued the check.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
              Yes, this. Once it's been sent to the IRS, unless you're doing bank products or something, the issues with the refund are between them and the IRS. Sometimes I'll help out, conference call the IRS or whatever, but there's no way for you to know why the IRS has or hasn't issued the check.
              I knew about it. That's why I am just asking for the possible reasons so I can get back to him and explain it could be this or it could be that.

Comment

How about sending them a news article for one possible explanation? It may or may not apply to their refund, but it is something.

Comment

you can call PPS and ask for some information. They might be able to shed some light on it. You can do that as 3rd party designee.

Linda, EA

Comment

Working...
                  X