CA extension Form FTB-3519 (PIT)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA extension Form FTB-3519 (PIT)

On CA form FTB-3519 (PIT) - Payment for Automatic Extension for Individuals - the

amount of payment is automatically carried from Line 4 of its Tax Payment Worksheet.

And Lines 1, 2a, and 2b are linked to Form CA-540.

If Taxpayer wants to pay a different amount on Line 4 other than what is linked to

Form CA-540, it is not possible without overriding using ATX software.

Has anybody experience this situation and how was it resolved. Thanks.

I override, especially if I'm extending because I don't have final figures yet and want to make sure enough is paid in. Did it for my own return last year.

Comment

CA and NY Extension Payment

I did not want taxpayer underpaying his taxes with CA FTB 3519 at the time of extension,
      when he is willing and able to pay his potential tax liability.

It does not make sense that the CA State is not giving an option to the taxpayer to pay
      more than what is calculated as estimate, or is the software program not so well written.

I see a similar situation exist with NY state Extension Form NY-IT-370.

Anyway, thank you Joanmcq for sharing your thoughts.

Comment

Extension

Every year I have an idea about what my liability might be, but I override the form and pay in an additional amount with the CA extension so I won't have a balance due. I've never encountered a problem doing it this way for me.

Comment

Form CA-540, it is not possible without overriding using ATX software.

I have a few problems with ATX not properly carrying correct amounts to Ca. This year it happens on Schedule D, 8849. The client's carryover loss is different for Ca, but ATX "sees" $3000 loss and "assumes" the carryover is the same and shows the fed carryover.

Comment

Does your software have the "blank voucher" option? If not, you can always just call it up on the FTB website and print out a blank one. I think you can even fill in a pdf off the FTB website and print it, although I'm not totally sure of that. My software (TaxWorks through TRX) allows me to print vouchers with everything on it except the amount of $$ paid, and I give 1 or more of them to my clients who can take it from there to pay how much and whenever they can.

Comment

Stretching the amount paid with extension

If I extend a client and there is a small chance there will be a different final tax number, I recommend that the client pay more in than my software figures. I usually try to get another $2-3 thousand over what I figured depending on the client and apply any overpayment to the next year.

If you are short, the client may be penalized and have to pay interest.

If clients end up with an overpayment, some think you did a great job and are happy to have the additional cushion. If you are short and the client has to pay more, ther are not happy.

Comment

The CA webpay does work well, if you want to do the extension on the website.

Comment

Working...
                X