Efiling Prior Years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Efiling Prior Years

I understand we can efile 2010 returns, but not 2009? Is this correct?

News to me

Originally posted by Burke View Post
    I understand we can efile 2010 returns, but not 2009? Is this correct?
    I could be wrong, but I think the only returns you can currently efile are of the 2011 type.

FE

Comment

Efile prior year

That was to be one of the benefits of MEF. Supposedly, the forms that qualified for MEF in 2010 (Not sure about 2009) would be e-file-able. But with the issues the IRS has with MEF I very much doubt you can at this time.

Comment

Maybe business entities, but I haven't read anything about personal returns for prior years being efiled yet.

Comment

Keep in mind that there were more limited forms accepted for 2010 than for 2011 on the 1040 MEF system. So most of your complex returns wouldn't have gone through MEF in 2010 even back in 2011. For example, Schedule F, 2555, 3903, etc... weren't (aren't?) accepted for 2010 returns through MEF.

I think, hypothetically at least, you can efile 2010 returns as long as they only use the limited forms. But then the question is whether or not your software supports it. It's easier for software companies to say "We don't support efiling prior year 2010 returns" than to say "We do, but if you have forms XYZ you can't." (Back in 2011 when you could still file the 2010 return through legacy it wasn't an issue because the software company would send the return one way or the other, either MEF if it qualified or legacy if it didn't.)

As a preparer, I wouldn't want to try to figure out whether or not a return has a form not allowed for 2010 MEF.

Comment

Well, that's why I was asking. A Last-Minute Tax Tip Alert from ATX says right under the time frame for e-filing a timely-filed tax return that rejected being 4/22/12, says "Even if you failed to file an extension, you will still be able to efile returns after this date. This includes 2010 prior year returns." So I am a little confused. Will check.

Comment

Drake told me only current year for the 1040 series, but prior year entity returns could be efiled.
              "A man that holds a cat by the tail learns something he can learn no other way." - Mark Twain

Comment

I do volunteer work as a Tax Aide (IRS/AARP) and we have been efiling 2010 this year, Federal only, no States. Software is Taxwise - from CCH I believe.

Comment

ATX is also CCH, so if TaxWise is supporting the 2010 efile it would make sense that ATX would as well.

I am curious - what happens if you try to send a return with a moving expense deduction or something that wasn't allowed for MEF 2010? Does it issue an error of some kind?

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                    Well, that's why I was asking. A Last-Minute Tax Tip Alert from ATX says right under the time frame for e-filing a timely-filed tax return that rejected being 4/22/12, says "Even if you failed to file an extension, you will still be able to efile returns after this date. This includes 2010 prior year returns." So I am a little confused. Will check.
                    I have a couple of 2010's to do. I will try it and see whether it works. Anyone know if they can still be filed after the 17th?
                    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                      I have a couple of 2010's to do. I will try it and see whether it works. Anyone know if they can still be filed after the 17th?
                      Well, in theory MEF will allow something like 3 years prior, so if your software supports the 2010 MEF it's probably going to let you file for a couple more years. Aside from a little downtime towards the end of December / early January when they do maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by David1980 View Post
                        Well, in theory MEF will allow something like 3 years prior, so if your software supports the 2010 MEF it's probably going to let you file for a couple more years. Aside from a little downtime towards the end of December / early January when they do maintenance.
                        Awesome! I will check my software and complain to ProSeries if it doesn't. I love efile...makes my job so much easier. It is nice to see the IRS doing something helpful.
                        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

2011 ammendment

Curious, not checked on it, will work on this AFTER the 17th. But I have a 2011 to ammend, does anyone know if 2011 1040x can be efiled or must it be mailed?

Comment

Originally posted by taxea View Post
                            Awesome! I will check my software and complain to ProSeries if it doesn't. I love efile...makes my job so much easier. It is nice to see the IRS doing something helpful.
                            Please wait a few months before complaining. The IRS did an incredible amount of late season e-file changes - the software people deserve some compassion.

Comment

1040x

I think the 1040x still has to be mailed. ATX supports efiling 2010 returns if they qualify for MeF. I believe that is the only year because years prior to that were not in that format.

Comment

Working...
                              X