F 8802 Who Files it and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F 8802 Who Files it and why?

The form name is something like "Application for Certification as a US Resident" and I wondered what the real purpose is. Who needs to file it and who wants needs or accepts IRS Certification that someone is a US Resident? Does the process establish that one is here or that one is here legally?

You file Form 8802 in order to request Form 6166, which sounds like a bureaucracy joke from a sitcom, but is explained quite well in the 8802 instructions.

It won't establish that a person is here legally, only that they've filed a tax return as a resident. Aliens who are here illegally but qualify under the substantial presence test are still required to file returns as residents.

Comment

I have a client (US citizen) who must request one for his Sub-S corp every time he goes to certain countries and works. They want it to show their tax authorities why they are not withholding tax from the payment to the client.
      Last edited by Burke; 03-25-2012, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Very Interesting - ty guys

This has to set a new record for obscurity in taxation at least for me.

Comment

PS: The rate is also going up 4/1/2012 to $85 from $35. So if you need one, get it now!

Comment

TY Burke

The existence of the form came to my attention because an email newsletter told me about the fee increase among many other things.

Comment

Working...
            X