EA Failing RTRP Test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EA Failing RTRP Test

Does anyone know what would happen if an EA took the RTRP test and failed? I would think that person would not be able to prepare 1040 taxes because the IRS goes by the PTIN to allow/disallow someone without qualifications from preparing taxes. I know some people who are as EA are planning on taking the RTRP test. Hopefully, it will go well for them if the above is the case. I know some may say that if they fail, they shouldn't be doing taxes anyway, but I am sure there are many many preparers that may not do well on testing and many that are CPA's and EAs are in that category. Any responses?

Why are they taking the test?
    You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

Ea

Their EA would be valid still, I think. But, without knowing for sure, why would any EA take the RTRP exam? If you know of some people thinking about this, then why don't you all research your question before it happens!

Comment

Lots of chatter about this all over tax prep boards

Mostly because the # RTRP's is projected to way surpase the # of EA's.

Comment

Just Curious!

A lot of people asking the same question are indeed researching it. This forum is one way of researching, isn't it? There are several places to check, but none seem to have any absolute answers yet (not even the IRS) .
          I know one of the reasons I may take the test is because I am retired and do taxes because I love doing them. I only prepare individual and small business returns and don't wish to do corp's, etc (I used to do them, but don't now).
          I have never had any of my clients have an audit (35 yrs). Therefore, I feel I can do the same amount of returns without having to complete as many CPE's. I do review a lot of archives to keep up on everything, and attend at least a 2 day seminar per year. I speak to a lot of EA's and a lot have the same feeling as I do. People just don't recognize the advantage of the EA vs a RTRP. The wording of a "registered tax return preparer" is easier to understand than "enrolled agent" for people looking at advertisements. My clients are not the "high end" clients. Most of my clients live in a small town that are low to middle wage earners (and I like it that way.). Several are high end wage earners.
          Everyone has their own reasons for wanting to take the test. Some EA's want to take it in order to add another title to their name. I am not that person.
          I wanted to know if anyone had the answer to my question. I don't want to be negatively judged on why I would want to take the test because I am an EA. I am weighing my options and am looking into this subject as are many others. Thanks

Comment

It was hard enough passing the EA exam the first time ('83) to put myself through any kind of test under current tax law and risk exposing my weaknesses all over again in a new exam, regardless of the status obtained. For the little extra effort to maintain my EA it seems like a no brainer...............

Just because you don't want to do various types of work is no reason to drop your EA. You are the one picking your clients.
            Last edited by BOB W; 03-04-2012, 03:23 PM.
            This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I think it's like a RN taking the test for LVN. They are both nurses, however, the RN is licensed to do more than the LVN. There are a lot more LVNs. But there really is no reason for the RN to take on that title just because the general public is more aware of LVNs.
              You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Comment

EA Failing RTRP Test

I am an EA, but I am considering reading the 2012 Wiley Registered Tax Return Preparer Exam Review without taking the RTRP test by the IRS. My reason being simply as a Review of basic tax law, especially in areas that I may not prepare returns for every year. I think the book is only $60 and includes quizzes. The book will be available sometime this month wherever books
                are sold.

Of course there is no CPE credits just for reading the book and taking it's little quizzes, but that's OK with me.

Comment

Back to the original question, which is a very valid question, I never thought of. I am an EA and considering taken the exam for reasons of my own, which I do not wish to expose. I am sure everyone has their owns reasons. These reason is none of the business of anyone else.

I do not want to be subject to all the judgments already displayed. What is so difficult in trying to answer a question and stay away, if you don't know? I still can understand saying something like: It's beyond me why an EA or CPA would want to do this. But if one cannot hold the tongue than that should be the end of the story.

I don't think this question has an answer (yet) but it sure makes me cautious. I never, ever want to go through the EA exams again. I actually believe being submerged into "too much" practice makes it more difficult to pass an exam that comes mainly from theory. Some people are better at this than others, which doesn't say a d... thing about their quality of work.

Comment

EA Failing RTRP Test

There is nothing more that gets my goat on this board more than the discussions of
                    EAs wanting a lower level credential with more restrictions on services they can provide.

Each of us has earned the title of being called Enrolled Agent by virtue of passing the exam - whenever it was - and adhering to the CPE requirements for renewal.

Even those who use the excuse they don't want to take as many CPEs because of being retired or restricted practice conditions, it simply does not make any sense. In those clients who you DO serve, you cannot fully represent them in dealing with IRS due to the RTRP restrictions.
                    Is your liability insurance going to be dramatically reduced with being an RTRP vs EA?
                    Are the additional CPE hours (and CPE cost) you must take for the EA license really going to kill you?

Someone - PLEASE - if you don't wish to post on this board - feel free to PM me to explain this.
                    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Risk?

I sure wouldn't risk my EA unless I knew what could happen. What does the new version of Circular 230 state? What does the Office of Professional Responsibility say? What did your local IRS liaison say when you researched the question? What did NAEA tell you? What IRC cites were you given? Why do the people doing this think it's worth the risk?

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteOleander View Post
                        I think it's like a RN taking the test for LVN. They are both nurses, however, the RN is licensed to do more than the LVN. There are a lot more LVNs. But there really is no reason for the RN to take on that title just because the general public is more aware of LVNs.
                        What is a LVN? Licensed veterinary nurse?
                        Could be in Texas I reckon.
                        ChEAr$,
                        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                          There is nothing more that gets my goat on this board more than the discussions of
                          EAs wanting a lower level credential with more restrictions on services they can provide.

Each of us has earned the title of being called Enrolled Agent by virtue of passing the exam - whenever it was - and adhering to the CPE requirements for renewal.

Even those who use the excuse they don't want to take as many CPEs because of being retired or restricted practice conditions, it simply does not make any sense. In those clients who you DO serve, you cannot fully represent them in dealing with IRS due to the RTRP restrictions.
                          Is your liability insurance going to be dramatically reduced with being an RTRP vs EA?
                          Are the additional CPE hours (and CPE cost) you must take for the EA license really going to kill you?

Someone - PLEASE - if you don't wish to post on this board - feel free to PM me to explain this.
                          Just trying to answer some of your questions:

CPE is not an issue for me. I always got plenty more than I needed just for my own peace of mind of providing good service.

I do not have any liability insurance, nor do I do any advertising since long years, so I am not concerned about more exposure.

I am just considering options, I do not have any precise plans to go for the exam. But how could I make an educated decision if I don't know ALL the facts for everything that is important to me? This issue is not as simple as some like to see it. I do not want to argue for or against it with anyone. I don't want to be preached to either. I am doing this enough myself already.

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                            What is a LVN? Licensed veterinary nurse?
                            Could be in Texas I reckon.
                            RN=Registered Nurse
                            LVN=Licensed Vocational Nurse

Comment

I agree Gretel!!

Gretel,
                              Thanks for your response, especially to Uncle Sam. You said it better than I could. I think his credentials are going to his head!
                              I simply asked a question on this forum hoping to get any feedback from maybe others thinking about taking the test that is an EA.
                              After reading feedbacks on this, and other forums, it is abovious the answer is not out there yet. I am sure it will be soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X