CA and SE tax deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CA and SE tax deduction

Those of you are CA preparers are probably aware that the FTB is trying include an adjustment on CA returns to limit the above-the-line deduction of SE tax to 50% of the total tax, claiming that CA does not conform to the recent changes. Am I alone in thinking that they are overreaching here? The deduction consists of the "employer" portion of the SE tax, which has been 7.65% of SE-taxable income for some time now. Since the "employee" portion has been reduced by two percentage points, the "employer' portion represents a larger percentage of the total than the previous 50%, but this is simply a computational construct. The total amount of the deduction has not changed from 7.65% of SE-taxable income. So there is really nothing new for CA to conform to, yet the FTB is trying to make a minor profit center out of it. It strikes me as eminently contestable, and I wonder if the FTB isn't counting on the amounts being so small that no one will bother.

It does seem that the FTB goes out of its way to make a nuisance of itself in the middle of a busy tax season.
    Evan Appelman, EA
Working...
X