incentive proceeds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

incentive proceeds?

Taxpayer was lead claimant in law suit against drug company. The claim was based on
    drug company over charging for a drug. Taxpayer was awarded $13000 as "incentive
    proceeds". Taxpayer received 1009 misc from payer (drug company) and was reported
    in box 7 nonempl. comp. Is this correct, and should taxpayer be subject to SE tax on
    this payment? I would be grateful for any help.

thanks, in NC

awards

Speaking off the top of my head, I would say this award is other income, not subject to self-employment taxes. The line on 1040 for other income, but identify it.

Comment

I agree with the Chief, but also wonder if a portion or all could be claimed as not taxable as a reimbursement of drug cost the taxpayer incurred and did not deduct.

Comment

It's about what "incentive proceeds" means.

I don't know exactly what it means in this case, and it's confusing because there is not a connotation of compensation for damages.

Could there be more to this than meets the eye? Did the client have connection to the drug company as something more than just a customer who overpaid?

It seems like "incentive proceeds" would be connected with some type of services provided by someone, not a refund of an overcharge. Certainly, a 1099-MISC would be connected with services if properly reported.

If the court used the term "incentive proceeds," and the company issued a 1099-MISC, you've got two different sources indicating some kind of services. That suggests a missing element to this story.

If the term "incentive proceeds" and the 1099-MISC both originated with the drug company, and there was no connection other than as a customer, you could have the drug company playing around with the reporting (to make it look better on the income statement perhaps?).

Comment

Thanks for your responses

I have been working all day and have not had time to view board. The taxpayer had no
          connection to the drug company other than being the lead claimant in the case. He did
          have to meet with lawyers and make depositions, other than that he performed no other
          services. I think the drug company reported the award wrong and taxpayer should only
          have to pay on the "incentive amt." reported on line 21 other income.

Dixie, in NC

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
            I have been working all day and have not had time to view board. The taxpayer had no
            connection to the drug company other than being the lead claimant in the case. He did
            have to meet with lawyers and make depositions, other than that he performed no other
            services. I think the drug company reported the award wrong and taxpayer should only
            have to pay on the "incentive amt." reported on line 21 other income.

Dixie, in NC
            If it was a refund from overcharges, why would the client have to pay anything? They paid for those drugs with after-tax money.

If it was truly a refund of an overcharge, there's no economic gain. No income, unless the amount had already been deducted as a medical expense. If so, it's a recovery.

If it's not really income, I'd be inclined to report $1 on line 21 with "See Statement" as the label, and include a statement with the return saying this was a refund of an overcharge and not taxable.

The client should have the court order. I'd be really curious to see what it says.

Comment

Armando Beaujolais

Taxpayer received total award of $14000. $1000 was for overpaying for the drug, $13000
              for the "incentive amt". This is shown on letter from lawyer that handled the case. The
              total $14000 was shown on the 1099misc box 7. I agee with you on the $1000 not being
              taxed and have backed out on line 21 1040 with explanation. I am sorry I did not mention
              this in the original post,but I am still wondering about the $13000 incentive amt. I have
              never seen this term used before.

Comment

Working...
              X