Forgot To Attach W2's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot To Attach W2's

Did my first mail in of the year had assembled and ready and client said she might pick up today. I was not at work but this afternoon it dawned on me that I had forgot to attach the W2's to the return. My luck client did pick up today. Have tried to contact her with no success. If she has already mailed it in, anyone know if there is a way to deal with this? I have never encountered this situation before, at least not that I know of.

I don't know what the best quick action should be, but the IRS ordinarily writes a letter to the filer notifying them of the failure and asking for them. If it were me, and the return is already gone, I would clue the client in on the situation and then just wait for the request.

LT
    Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

They cannot input it so it will be mailed back to the TP. Best bet is to reprint and remail with W-2's.

Comment

Originally posted by thomtax View Post
        I don't know what the best quick action should be, but the IRS ordinarily writes a letter to the filer notifying them of the failure and asking for them. If it were me, and the return is already gone, I would clue the client in on the situation and then just wait for the request.

LT
        I'm not sure if Burke has updated info. His post may be what they are doing now. They used to send a letter asking for the W-2's. I have only had a return or Power of Attorney come back if it wasn't signed.
        Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Clarification needed

Just curious - was there a substantiated reason the return was not efiled?

(Stated differently - you did attach the required Form 8948 to the paper return? )

As for your basic question: The paper return will likely be put in limbo upon receipt/processing as the required documents are indeed absent.

FE

Comment

This was the return where I used 2 different exceptions for cancellation of debt via 982. Personal residence and insolvency exceptions. Couldn't figure out a way for the software to allow me to do both in order to e-file.

Comment

Originally posted by dan doshan View Post
              This was the return where I used 2 different exceptions for cancellation of debt via 982. Personal residence and insolvency exceptions. Couldn't figure out a way for the software to allow me to do both in order to e-file.
              Well, if one exception is good I guess two is better

Comment

In case it was missunderstood, I had to use the 2 exceptions, as a good portion of the cancelled debt attributable to the residence was not qualified debt due to a refinancing of the home.

Comment

Working...
                X