1099R Box 5 Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1099R Box 5 Question

I have a Government Retiree and in Box 5 of thier 1099R is has an amount of 5100.00 . My client has indicated that this is the amount they pay for health insurnace premium. Since this amount does not automatically flow anywhere on the return, does it make sense to put it on the sch A as health premiums. It may not help but does anyone have any comments.

If that is in fact medical premiums for health insurance, then yes it can to go Schedule A. You may want to double check the box 5 amount is health insurance, sometimes they put the employee contributions to their retirement in that box.

Comment

Pre-Tax?

Was his contributions to his heath insurance pre-tax or post-tax? If pre-tax, don't put it on Schedule A.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
        Was his contributions to his heath insurance pre-tax or post-tax? If pre-tax, don't put it on Schedule A.
        Usually they're post tax. If they were pre-tax, they would show up as a difference between gross proceeds and taxable proceeds. However, with the exception of retired public safety officers, I don't know of anything that allows pre-tax payments of health insurance from retirement funds.

Comment

Csa 1099-r

Photoman,

Was it a federal government retiree with perhaps a CSA 1099-R rather than a regular 1099-R that you client had? If so box 5 does show the retiree's contribution to a health insurance plan. Box 9b is used to show original contributions on a CSA 1099-R. I don't know of any federal agencies that have pre-tax retiree health insurance benefits so it is very likely something for Sked A.

Comment

I have seen them with either the health premium or the employee contributions to their retirement. So confusing!
            I just hope they forget about the credit for first responders that pay their health insurance through their retirement. I kinda like that credit.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Yes , she is federal retiree and yes it is reported on form CSA1099r

Comment

If you will notice, there may be a figure in Box 9b. This is total employee contributions, and it is used to figure the Simplified General Rule exclusion. If boxes 1 & 2 are different, they have already figured this for you. Box 5 is almost always health insurance deducted from the retirement check.

Comment

Originally posted by Burke View Post
                  If you will notice, there may be a figure in Box 9b. This is total employee contributions, and it is used to figure the Simplified General Rule exclusion. If boxes 1 & 2 are different, they have already figured this for you. Box 5 is almost always health insurance deducted from the retirement check.
                  Thanks that is usually how I make the determination
                  Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                  X