EIC and income for the qualified child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EIC and income for the qualified child

to the best of my knowledge there is no income limit to claim a child for an exemption, child tax credit and eic. the child made 5000 and was 18 at the end of the year. correct?

Well, yes and no. You are correct that there is no income limit the child can earn and still be a qualified child. However, the child cannot have provided over half his/her support. So $5,000 earned by the child will probably not translate into over half his/her support. If the child earned $50,000, then I would question whether the child could be considered a qualified child. The income limit is the point at which the child earns enough income and actually uses that income to provide more than half his/her support.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
      Well, yes and no. You are correct that there is no income limit the child can earn and still be a qualified child. However, the child cannot have provided over half his/her support. So $5,000 earned by the child will probably not translate into over half his/her support. If the child earned $50,000, then I would question whether the child could be considered a qualified child. The income limit is the point at which the child earns enough income and actually uses that income to provide more than half his/her support.
      There's no support test for EIC. A child could qualify a parent for EIC without being a qualifying child for the dependent exemption.

Comment

Working...
      X