S l o w T a l k e r

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S l o w T a l k e r

I think I talk to slow sometimes. I'm a southern gal and I've noticed that alot of yankees that have moved in around here talk really fast. Its like I can't get out fast enough what I have to say and they interrupt me. Got a good one a few minutes ago. Moved from New York and is having to pay. Daughter in law has a master in accounting but she done their taxes and is showing they owe $4,000. Well if I can get it down I will get an extra $25 bucks. Oh boy! Well you know $25 bucks is still $25 bucks. Told her I couldn't promise her anything but I will look at it. While I was talking she would interrupt me.

Me: "Yes you can deduct moving expenses but you have to meet certain..."
    Her: "Well... well... we need to deduct as much as we can. I need you to find all the loopholes and deduct what we can and slewoijflkdjfalmwoienr;ahgaco".
    Me: Well I will deduct what is legal. I don't do loopholes
    Her: "Okay... wlakjdlfaova;enraei"

SHe was talking so fast I could barely understand her. Okay just a heads up... I will probably be posting about her return in the next few days I can feel it.

The envelope says:"W-2s, 1099Rs, $3000 owed"
    The Incrediable Carnac says "A client that probably won't pay you after they find out they still owe $3000".

I wish I was in the land of cotton...

I remeber when I was little I really wanted to be a cowboy. I remeber going in and asking my mom if we could move out west. She said if we were any farther west we would be in the pacific ocean.

Comment

I emphazise with you, geekgirldany, very much though.

I am not only talking slow, I have an accent and if another thought hits my mind while I am talking, I even become slower or stop in the middle of a sentence.

Anyway, when I moved from the east coast to Montana, from a big city to a very small town, I felt soooo relieved. Finally I could understand everyone, didn't have to listen to voice messages five times and still not understanding because of mgheiiklgjieoeo.

It was a nightmare for me to pick up the phone back there. I miss the ocean though.

Comment

Fee

Well I thingk $25 is too little, but if that is all you are going to charge, ask for the fee upfront, then spend a couple of days, not much of course for $25, and then let them know it will cost them extra.

Afterall, somehow they called on you as the professional to help, and most always we can find something that was overlooked.

Good Luck,

Sandy

Comment

I really don't know what I would do if I moved to a big city. Geez it would be awful for me. Thanks gabrielle good knowing I am not the only one. I have a used car salesman that is a new customer this year. Talk about a fast talker! Now he is from the south but boy he gets what he has to say out quick and wants me to do the same.

I thought ole bart would get on this thread

Sandy I am actually going to get the fee upfront. Just tell them I do it for new customers. Oh the $25 bucks is the bonus on top of my regular fee Maybe I should tell her do I hear $30? $35? $40? I'm getting silly now. Tax season is slowly making me wary.

Comment

You get me instead...

...of Black Bart. Not as funny, but to someone who knows Junior Samples home town, you should not only talk slow, but really drag and stutter like he did.

Your $25 is in the bag. The other lady may have found thousands of dollars in deductions, so all you have to do is find another $500 or so, and you've probably saved them $125. Of course, most of the deductions have already been found before you were given the return. Easy money.

One of my customers didn't want to pay $4000 so they took theirs to Jackson-Hewitt. The guy noticed there was no deduction for automobile. (They don't use it in their work). So he created $4500 "auto" expense and saved them $1000. Of course, I was furious when I found this out and told them they needed to use this guy at Jackson-Hewitt instead of me.

Sometimes I have the same situation presented to me. Someone else has already prepared the return, and if I can save them more money, I will be their tax man "forever." Sometimes I can really help because the first return is sloppy. But other times it looks like the first preparer has worked himself to death trying to find deductions and all I have to do is interrogate them and find another $1000 and save them money. That makes me a better tax man than the first guy, right? And they will be my customer "forever", right?

Bob Dylan wrote a song once, "Tomorrow is a Long, Long Time." So is "forever." At least until some other year when these folks owe a lot of money and they decide to do the same thing to me that they did to that other guy.

We take customers who come in because we serve the public and are not choosy unless we find out we're dealing with a sleezebag. Customers as I describe above are literally "easy come, easy go." I hope your new Yankee proves to be a good customer. The best Hillbillies in the whole South are Yankees who come down here and don't wanna go back.

Also, a note to all female tax practitioners: I use "guy" and "he" in a generic sense in all my quotes as a matter of custom. Don't be offended. Nothing against women -- as a matter of fact I've been married 29 years (if you added all of them up).

Comment

A.d.d.

Originally posted by Gabriele
              I am not only talking slow, I have an accent and if another thought hits my mind while I am talking, I even become slower or stop in the middle of a sentence.
              Isn't this called ADD? Of course when I was a kid it was called not paying attention and the remedy was my dad's hand up the side of my head.
              I would put a favorite quote in here, but it would get me banned from the board.

Comment

You people are writing too fast and making me read so fast that it hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sova
                  Isn't this called ADD? Of course when I was a kid it was called not paying attention and the remedy was my dad's hand up the side of my head.

Your making me laugh. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Sova
                    You went to medical school?

Comment

I forgot you were from Tenn. Snag. Yep I'm in the hometome of Junior Samples. He is buried right up the road from here.

Most of the yankees are pretty good folks. I like how they can tell that I am a "native" of Forsyth. I guess the accent gives it away. Wouldn't have it any other way though. There are alot of people moving to Forsyth County. So my business has picked up a good deal this year. Its good thing. Like you said might have to do that much work. She is bringing the return that is already prepared with her. So maybe I can save her some and help.

Comment

well she dropped the papers off this morning in my drop box and didn't meet with me. So there goes getting my money upfront. I did find a medical bill from a pschy doctor... hmm. Also did not bring the "completed" return her sister in law did. So makes me wonder. She is still owing but about $600 less.

Comment

Working...
                        X