Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sole proprietor to 1 member LLC, is 8832 required?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sole proprietor to 1 member LLC, is 8832 required?

Sole proprietor becomes a single member LLC. Is form 8832 electing to be "A domestic eligible entity with a single owner electing to be disregarded as a separate entity" need to be filed?

Taken from the IRS website link below, 4th paragraph down: "An SMLLC that does not elect to be a corporation will be classified by the existing federal guidance as a “disregarded entity” which is taxed as a sole proprietor for income tax purposes".

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
    Sole proprietor becomes a single member LLC. Is form 8832 electing to be "A domestic eligible entity with a single owner electing to be disregarded as a separate entity" need to be filed?

Taken from the IRS website link below, 4th paragraph down: "An SMLLC that does not elect to be a corporation will be classified by the existing federal guidance as a “disregarded entity” which is taxed as a sole proprietor for income tax purposes".

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/...158625,00.html
    No, the 8832 is to elect a corporation only (since one person can't be a partnership). If not electing then the disregarded LLC is taxed as a sole proprietor. No, action is needed because the LLC is disregarded.
    JG

Comment

Yes, but...

I agree that Form 8832 is not used in this scenario.

However...

The LLC is a new entity, established under state law. It is in fact a disregarded entity, so for tax purposes, your client will continue to have a sole prop.

But because he has formed a new entity, he may need a new EIN.

BMK
      Burton M. Koss
      koss@usakoss.net

Comment

Just curious, will your client be titling the assets in the name of the LLC?
        Dave, EA

Comment

Originally posted by Koss View Post
          I agree that Form 8832 is not used in this scenario.

However...

The LLC is a new entity, established under state law. It is in fact a disregarded entity, so for tax purposes, your client will continue to have a sole prop.

But because he has formed a new entity, he may need a new EIN.

BMK
          That is an important point - I have a client that is Sole prop with a new LLC and they need to start using that EIN (LLC) for their payroll starting 01/01 when the LLC begins. . And the name of the LLC goes on Schedule C. That's what I found out in research at any rate
          JG

Comment

Assets to remain titled in single members name.

Originally posted by dsi View Post
            Just curious, will your client be titling the assets in the name of the LLC?
            As I understand, the assets will remain in single members name. Will that be an issue?

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
              As I understand, the assets will remain in single members name. Will that be an issue?
              Not as far as income taxes are concerned; I'm not sure about payroll taxes. The real question is how that will affect the liability protection (which is the basic reason for an SMLLC).

Comment

Working...
              X