Ptin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ptin

I filed for PTIN via paper last year. Have received two notices from IRS, four days apart, with different code numbers so that I can access account online and renew. Anyone dealt with this yet? Not sure which one to use.

Yes I'm dealing with this

No - not with mine - as I got through with relatively no trouble.
    However, my wife's PTIN renewal is a nightmare.
    She's going through the SAME problem - attempting to use an activation
    code IRS gave her - BUT not knowing that it's the wrong one. She ALSO
    got a different activation code attempted to use it, then found out a few days
    later that IRS had used a prior activation code we didn't know about -
    so she was actually using a 2nd activation code because the notification for the
    1st one came days after the 2nd activation code.

Then the IRS misleading everyone with the wrong introduction -
    that we "contacted IRS" when we didn't.

My 18 year old son that we PTIN'ed last year - was sent a notice
    that he "contacted IRS" when no such call was made. We are NOT
    renewing his PTIN this year.
    Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

I wondered about that. My letters both say I contacted them. Nope. Didna do it.

Comment

From NATP

I also saw this in an IRS e-newsletter, but the following is from an NATP weekly e-newsletter:

Incorrect PTIN Letters

If you filed a paper Form W-12 last year to obtain or refresh your PTIN, you will (or have) receive Letter 4762. This letter will provide an online activation code to be used to setup your online PTIN account.

Some preparers received Letter 4762 that erroneously began “You recently placed a call to the PTIN information line…” even though the preparer did not place a call. These letters should have been sent with different verbiage; however, the activation code in these letters is correct and the enclosed instructions can be used to set-up your online PTIN account.

To view a copy of the correct and erroneous Letter 4762, visit our website.
        Last edited by Lion; 11-19-2011, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
          No - not with mine - as I got through with relatively no trouble.
          so she was actually using a 2nd activation code because the notification for the

Then the IRS misleading everyone with the wrong introduction -
          that we "contacted IRS" when we didn't.

My 18 year old son that we PTIN'ed last year - was sent a notice
          that he "contacted IRS" when no such call was made. We are NOT
          renewing his PTIN this year.
          Same here: I could not get in (so many people was on line then) so I mailed it to get it in time.
          They sent me a code and I used it and it doesn't work!! Called the # for this 877-613-7846 and NEVER can reach them. Called IRS and they gave me this # to call again (they didn't know).

Sooooo what now?
          SueBaby

Comment

This online process was a total waste of time for me. Spent a couple hours trying to figure out what they wanted, nothing worked and I finally threw my hands in the air and did the mail-in, again.

Comment

Online PTIN Renewal

I mailed my W-12 application in last year but thought I would try to renew online. Worked perfect except I was unable to print my welcome letter. I did go online on my account and it states that my PTIN will expire on 12/31/12 so I'm good to go. The renewal process took about 5 minutes or less. Surprised that it worked so well when I heard all those "horror" stories.

Comment

Waited

I waited while they got some of the bugs out, then renewed on line just fine. Thanx to who ever it was that reminded us we have to put in our EA expiration date.

Comment

Worked fine fo me

Last year I too paper filed. Last week I got the letter with the code that allowed me to file on line this year. The only wrinkle was, I had to have a second email address. As I have one getting my PTIN on line was quite smooth.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sam View Post
                    So, which code was incorrect/correct? The former-dated one or the later-dated one?

Comment

Neither was correct.

By the time we received the 1st activation code, we had already used the 2nd not knowing the 1st one was coming.

So we waited for IRS to clear out all the prior activation codes until we received the
                      most recent, and latest - after hanging on the phone for a PTIN help line for 1/2 hour.

THAT'S what worked.
                      Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Well, I gave up on the help line after 20 minutes, and had a brainstorm. A further review of both letters showed slight differences in the address -- i.e, zip + 4, and a small difference in 2nd line street address. Went back and pulled IRS letter authorizing PIN (from last-year's mailed-in form )and used the one which matched that letter exactly. It WORKED! And I am done... I guess I had a 50-50 chance.... It wound up being the second one mailed out.

Comment

I haven't recieved my EA renewal card as of today and I'm not sure what expiration date to use for my PTIN renewal date. Was the cycle changed from 3/31?
                          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

EA Renewal

Received mine and it has issue date of 4/1/2011 with expiration of 3/31/2014

Sandy

Comment

Thanks................
                              This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Working...
                              X