PTIN renewal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTIN renewal?

Ok, I remember reading that the IRS is going to go with annual renewals regardless when you initially registered your PTIN. My calendar says I initially registered on 9/7/2010 so I am assuming the IRS will notify me via snail mail some time in Nov?????

How far off am I?

Ptin

Latest info

Comment

Thank you Okie

I appreciate the link

Comment

NAEA had this in their Friday 9/23/11 E@alert

The net of it all (which, after all, is one of the reasons you await E@lert with bated breath) is as follows: 1) a notice containing guidance for obtaining and renewing PTINs and CE requirements for registered tax return preparers; and, 2) proposed regs related to user fees.
        Let’s take these in order. Notice 2011-80 provides long-awaited confirmation that PTINs are in fact to be renewed on an annual basis. As much as E@lert would like to be considered authority, alas it is not. While we have been reporting for months now that the PTINs would be renewed on a calendar year basis, Notice 2011-80 legitimizes this position, and more specifically states, “To assist with the transition to a calendar year renewal period, the IRS has determined that PTINs issued after September 27, 2010 and before October 16, 2011 will expire on December 31, 2011.”
        Further, the notice:
        • asserts provisional PTINs will be issued until at least April 18, 2012. IRS will make a final announcement of the last date for provisional PTINs at least 30 days in advance. You’ll recall that once provisional PTINs are discontinued, a preparer will be required to pass the minimal competency exam to acquire a PTIN;
        • requires provisional PTINs to be maintained continually;
        • requires fingerprinting for background checks for PTIN holders who are not enrolled agents, enrolled retirement plan agents, certified public accountants, or attorneys; and,
        • requires registered tax return preparers and provisional PTIN holders to satisfy CE requirements starting in 2012.
        The proposed regs set the IRS portion of user fees for fingerprinting at $33 and for minimal competency testing at $27. The user fees are in addition to any fees that will be charged by third party vendors. Those fees have not yet been announced, but IRS expects total fees to weigh in at between $60 and $90 for fingerprinting and between $100 and $125 for the minimal competency test.
        PTIN System to Open October 15th
        As we reported above, PTINs must be renewed on a calendar year basis. All EAs and PTIN holders must renew their 2011 numbers using the online PTIN application or a paper Form W-12 and pay the required fee of $64.25 for 2012 beginning after October 15, 2011 and before January 1, 2012.
        All paid tax return preparers who renewed and paid for a 2011 PTIN will receive letters at their home address from IRS acknowledging that they signed up for a PTIN. If you receive a letter like this, there is no action that needs to be taken; it is simply a preemptive action by the Return Preparer Office to address the possibility of identity theft associated with PTINs.
        Sandy

Comment

Slightly Confused Here

I went online at some point at some time and paid by credit card to electronically renew a ptin I had had since the first year they were available. I was thinking I did that in the summer of 2011. However the posts in this thread seem to imply that I couldn't have done it this summer and the more I think about it the more I think I had to do it in the Fall of 2010 in order to be able to work in 2011. Is that correct?

The moral of the story is that I need to keep IRS and State Correspondence concerning my taxes and right to practice as faithfully as I keep them for my clients.

Comment

PTIN renewal

Erchess, If you got the PRIN after Sept, 2010 you are OK. If before that, you should have received one of those "100,000' preparers who got a letter from the IRS. Additional information here http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/n-11-80.pdf.

Comment

I believe for those of us that renewed online it was in December 2010 - could be if paper filed was Nov 2010 or later into Jan 2011 - we had those delays for IRS to implement.

Sandy

Comment

Working...
              X