1098 vs HUD difference in org fees.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1098 vs HUD difference in org fees.

Box 2 of form 1098 is $749 but HUD ln 803 adj org charges is $1499. I was thinking of fully deducting $749 and amortizing the $1499 for the life of the loan. Your thoughts.

There should be a break down of the origination charges, and the points will probably show up there. So it's unlikely you can treat the $749 as being in addition to the $1499.

But how do you come by both points and amortization? The points would only be fully deductible on the purchase of a home, so that the other origination charges would be part of the basis, not an amortizable deduction. If it's a duplex or similar part rental or part business use, then I think you'd have to pro-rate the points, with only the residence part being fully deductible in the current year.

Comment

Its a residential house

and no breakdown of the org fees but Gary probably correct that the $749 if part of the other $1499

Comment

I have seen this before where half is listed as "loan origination fee" on 801 and half is listed as "loan discount %" on 802. Line 803 is appraisal fees (at least on the HUD-1 I am looking at.)
        Bottom line is, if the $1,499 is a percentage of the loan issued to the borrower as a mtge, then it is treated as points or prepaid interest and normal full deduction/amortization rules apply.
        It is not likely that the $749 on the 1098 is in addition to the $1,499. It could be that 1/2 was paid to the bank issuing the 1098, and the other half was paid to another bank (or interim mtge company).

Comment

HUD Statement

Using the HUD Closing Statement and comparing to the 1098 form at the end of the year (if there was a purchase-or refinance) will assist you.

TTB 6-2 has a sample of the Settlement costs for Real Estate with line reference to HUD-1 Stmt. you will see that line 801-803 on the HUD statement are referenced for the Loan origination fee as Burke outlined and Gary referenced.

You did not specify whether it was a residental personal residence purchase, a rental purchase or a refinance. So there would be a question whether the amounts are deductible or need to be amortized

Sandy

Comment

Possibility

Is this perhaps a VA/FHA loan?

Due to the inherent nature of the charges/discounts/etc I have seen some "contradictory" numbers that defied logic until someone with the complete facts was able to explain them to me.

Maybe someone on these boards is not only a tax person but also a Realtor?

FE

Comment

An explanation can be obtained in regard to this matter by talking to the closing agent listed at the top of the HUD-1 form, whether it is a title company, attorney or other entity. You would be surprised at the errors we find on these forms. There was probably a mortgage broker involved and they split the fees. Don't be surprised if another 1098 shows up; but also don't count on it.

Comment

Working...
              X