Extension Form 2688

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extension Form 2688

I have a few clients who now want to go on a second extension. Of course, they should have decided that a little earlier since the extension is not automatic. Even though I pointed out in a previous thread that sure you can efile the 2688, I just found out that my software, Taxworks, does not support the efiling of 2688. Looks like I will be sending them a word about that. What I need to know right now is, if the taxpayer does not get the extension form 2688 in on Monday (let's say they a day or two late on the postmark), will they face late filing fees by the IRS?
    Snow White, EA

Form 2688

Yes the extension is late, if they are not postmarked by 8/15/05 and that might be a risk unless you hand carry to the post office and have them certified or a certificate of mailing.

I bulk mail all of my form 2688 forms in one envelope to Ogden, or Fresno or whatever the Service Center is. Sometimes I have 5 different envelopes depending on the the Service Center, but it has never been an problem for mailing more than one form 2688 in the same envelope.

If I mail on the 8/15 then I hand carry to the post office to obtain the certified or the certificate of mailing (proof of mail date).

After 20+years of doing this I have not had a problem.

Some clients I fax them the 2688 form and tell them that they are responsible to sign the form in duplicate, mail in duplicate by the deadline date, and for them to send me confirmation that they received the form.

Hope this helps!

Sandy

Comment

As indicated is not automatic and has to be approved. This is a late date for submitting requests for approval. It will be late (if approved) and if more monies are owed than paid with the original automatic extension, penalties and interest are due.

I forgot my password, so am posting in this manner.

Comment

If you forget your password, type in your user name to log in with but enter nothing for the password. The program will say you entered an invalid password. But it will also give you the option to click on a link if you forgot your password. The link takes you to an option to enter your email address that you registered under. By entering your email address, the program will email to you instructions on how to re-set your password.

Comment

Double Extension

I believe that EAs and CPAs can do the second extension without a client signature.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all for your responses!
            Snow White, EA

Comment

Ea?

Is this true? Can an EA send in an extension without the client's signature? How do you do that? How does the IRS know you are an EA? Just by signing with your name and EA after your name?

I have one client (my niece) that didn't come by to get the extension form and have been trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks
              '
              Linda F

Comment

Ea

I have been doing that for years. I just sign my name plus my EA number and have the 2688 mailed back to me. Never had one rejected.

Comment

In fact, I just signed and mailed off 8 this morning. I didn't even have to call the clients. I just did it knowing the ones who haven't called yet will call latter this afternoon wanting me to do it.

Yet, I had to have my wife sign our own extension. Apparently as an EA, I can make the decision for my clients, but not for my wife.

(as it should be.....)....;^)

Comment

Signature

Do you just sign as the preparer and leave the taxpayer's signature blank?

Linda

Comment

form 2688 addit. extension

Yes, just sign as preparer. As long as you are an E.A. or C.P.A.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks so much for your help with this. I learn something new everyday on the message board. We should get CPE credits for reading the board.

Linda F

Comment

Ea

I also today sent out one that the taxpayer may or may not have done. However, I know she'll owe and this will help if she in fact didn't send in the extension. With all the others who have not done their taxes yet, I send them a copy of the form with a label and make them responsible. But, with certain ones I go ahead and send it in myself. If they are going to owe a lot, I certify the mail.

I always certify partnership forms do you? Clients get bills from late partnerships.
                          JG

Comment

Wow!

Didn't know that one either. Only EA's and CPA's can mail in Form 2688 for their clients. Hmmm. I am an EA now. Wasn't 3 years ago. Bet IRS doesn't know this either because I mailed in 3 2688's with my signature only and got them back no questions asked.

Comment

Instruction form 2688

In case anyboby hasn't read the instruction for 2688--here it is:
                              Others who can sign for you. Anyone with a power of attorney can sign. Attorneys,CPAs,and enrolled agents can sign for you without a power of attorney. Also, a person in a close personal or business relationship to you can sign without a power of attorney if you cannot sign.
                              There must be a good reason why you cannot sign, such as illness or absence. Attach an explanation.
                              P.S. I have never attach explanation why client could not sign.

Comment

Working...
                              X