Appalachian Music Festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Appalachian Music Festival

Ron, wasn't there a music festival in North Carolina recently? If so, were you able to make it?
    Just wondering.
    tweet...

Too many to count

Stevie, there are commonly a dozen or so such festivals in the Southern states on any given weekend. And that's just Bluegrass alone and doesn't include other types of music such as Blues, Jazz, Old-Time, Dulcimer, etc.

But they are somewhat seasonal, and it becomes hard to find one between November and April. Also several places here don't have venues in July/August because of the heat, and the festivals sorta move to places like New York, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc. The following is not large in Northern states, but is growing.

We're still trying to bring Bluegrass to places like North Dakota....The northern plains still have stuff like accordians to match their Scandinavian/Italian/German ancestry I suppose. If you like really good homegrown music, try some Scotch/Irish and German folk stuff.

If you're interested in finding some, e-mail me privately.

Regards, Ron J.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaggletooth
      We're still trying to bring Bluegrass to places like North Dakota....The northern plains still have stuff like accordians to match their Scandinavian/Italian/German ancestry I suppose. If you like really good homegrown music, try some Scotch/Irish and German folk stuff.

Regards, Ron J.
      If you guys can produce a blonde-haired blue-eyed kid from North Dakota like Johnny Lang who becomes a "Blues Sensation," I'll bet on you guys to bring Bluegrass north. Lang was from ND, wasn't he? I kinda liked some of his early stuff. Maybe it was the irony. Lang playing Midnight Train with Buddy Guy was something else.

And remembering the Pepsi commercial with a young Jimi Hendrix trying to decide between a Coke machine sitting in front of an accordian shop and a Pepsi machine sitting in front of a guitar shop. He chose the Pepsi machine and a Fender Telecaster in the window caught his eye. They closed out the commercial with an accordian rendition of Purple Haze. Aren't we glad he chose Pepsi.

Bluegrass in North Dakota doesn't sound like such a stretch to me.

Comment

Left North Dakota and Minnesota

Johny has been a California resident for a few years know. His sister is still singing around the Twin Cities area.

The Minnesota Music awards used to give an award for Bluegrass years ago.. I always thought that was the singer who had the best yard. Lawrence Welk did leave several accordians hidden in North Dakota that are still being discovered. While your there you should see the taxpayers' museum paid for by federal money years ago..

Comment

For a few years NOW

Sorry about that.. I will send some responses to Bees to edit. Is Phil's golf hurting today???

Comment

Stoney Lonesome with Kate MacKenzie was a Minnesota Bluegrass group which got national attention when they would appear on the Prairie Home Companion show with Garrison Keillor.
            Last edited by Bees Knees; 08-13-2005, 10:23 PM.

Comment

Mandolins

If you like bluegrass and old time country music, you should meet a friend of mine that lives in Athens, Georgia. He makes the most beautiful guitars and mandolins you have ever seen. Check out the Athens newspaper for July 7th or 9th for an article about him. His name is Bob Altman.

Linda F

Comment

Working...
              X