W-2 Form with NO B copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

W-2 Form with NO B copy

I received a W-2 yesterday with four copies printed on one page, which is common.
    But NONE of the four copies was labeled. They were NOT labled Copy B, Copy C,
    etc. So I simply cut off ONE of the W-2 forms to attach to the form 8879 and related
    state electonic authorization form.But that raises an interesting question: Are we
    required to attach Copy B of each W-2 to the form 8879 or will ANY copy of the
    form be sufficient? I have spent years finding the Copy B and they are sometimes
    at the top of the page, sometimes in the middle, etc. IF we can simply attach
    any ONE of the copies of the W-2 to the form 8879 that would save us a lot of
    time.The instructions for efiling simply say we should attach a copy of the W-2.
    Does anyone know?
    Last edited by dyne; 04-09-2011, 09:24 AM. Reason: more info

One copy of the W2 no matter how it is labeled, will do just fine as long as it has all the information on it that is necessary for the federal return. Sometimes if there is more than one state, the state copies are different and for those you need to make sure you have the right one.

Comment

I concur with Burke...any accurate facsimile will do
      Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
      X