form 1310??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

form 1310??

Is a form 1310 necessary if the refund is going to the decedent's estate? I don't think so, but my thoughts are not always RIGHT... It will be a paper return with automatic deposit information submitted for the estate account.
    "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

the trustee/personal rep for the estate has to sign the return/1310
    Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Are you filing the deceased's personal return with refund? then the form 1310 would be required

Sandy

Comment

yes,

the deceased's return is being filed. I am doing this for the attorney/executor.

I was going to put the estate name and tax ID number on the 1310, but software won't support it. It will only take a name and SS# which made me wonder if it was required at all, when it's going straight to the estate account.

I'll pull one from the IRS website and fill it in and attach it to the tax return.

So, does the estate go on it, or the executor?
        "I am proud to pay taxes in the United States. The only thing is I could be just as proud for half the money." Arthur Godfrey

Comment

A surviving spouse OR court-appointed representative (executor) does not have to file Form 1310. Just attach a copy of the court appointment to the return. I am not sure you can direct deposit a refund into an estate account, as the instructions say you cannot deposit to an account that is not in your name. However, we all know this has happened. Might depend on the bank.
          Last edited by Burke; 04-07-2011, 06:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Burke View Post
            A surviving spouse OR court-appointed representative (executor) does not have to file Form 1310. Just attach a copy of the court appointment to the return. I am not sure you can direct deposit a refund into an estate account, as the instructions say you cannot deposit to an account that is not in your name. However, we all know this has happened. Might depend on the bank.
            Thanks for the clarification. Even the atty didn't know this. Oh how I appreciate you!

Comment

Working...
            X