Sole Proprietor with W-2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sole Proprietor with W-2

I have a new client who is a single member LLC who has NOT elected to be an S-Corp. He has been paying himself and reporting the income on a W-2 since 2007. I am having difficulty convincing him that this is not the right way to report sole proprietor income.

I have searched every resource I can think of and can find nothing from an authoritative source to show him that specifically states that a sole proprietor should not treat himself as an employee.

Can anyone here provide a specific cite for this situation?

Also, how have you handled such a situation if you have run into it before?

THANKS!
    Lennox C. (Len) Boush, EA, FNTPI
    Heritage Income Tax Service, Inc.
    Portsmouth, VA

I have seen partners of partnerships do the same thing. I don't know what else you can do other than keep telling him that a business's owner is NOT an employee, and that a W-2 for himself is improper. If he reported his "wages" on F-941 and F-940, he's going to have a mess straightening it all out.
    Roland Slugg
    "I do what I can."

Comment

Originally posted by lenboush View Post
      I have a new client who is a single member LLC who has NOT elected to be an S-Corp. He has been paying himself and reporting the income on a W-2 since 2007. I am having difficulty convincing him that this is not the right way to report sole proprietor income.

I have searched every resource I can think of and can find nothing from an authoritative source to show him that specifically states that a sole proprietor should not treat himself as an employee.

Can anyone here provide a specific cite for this situation?

THANKS!
      I have had the same situation for several years (10+). I take the wage deduction on the Sched. C and report the W-2 income since inherited client would not budge. No problems thus far.

Comment

You might try this

Originally posted by lenboush View Post
        I ran several articles I found online. Also, I pointed out that he was paying SUTA and FUTA unnecessarily.
        If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

And that can be a substantial expense depending on your state's rates. So, is he paying SE tax on the net LLC profit as well as his W-2 income?

Comment

Originally posted by RitaB View Post
            I ran several articles I found online. Also, I pointed out that he was paying SUTA and FUTA unnecessarily.
            If SUTA and FUTA are non-profits he could write it off as donations...I can only imagine cleaning up this mess and trying to get his money back
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Found maybe

Lenboush
              Take at look at this thread post from another forum - It might give you the material you looking for - you have to go about 2/3 of the way down on the thread.

See Pub 334 and Pub 15 as well

Sandy

Comment

"You cannot deduct your own salary or any personal withdrawals you make from your business. As a sole proprietor, you are not an employee of the business."

(I got the reference from the TaxAlmanac link above)
                Michael

Comment

Think about it. If someone deducts his salary from a Sche C business, he most likely is also deducting the 1/2 of employer-paid SE taxes he is paying on behalf of himself from the gross business income, which lowers the SE tax when you get to that point. Wrong.

Comment

Not only is he paying SUTA & FUTA unnecessarily, he wouldn't be able to file unemployment if his biz went under.

Stupid stupid stupid.

Comment

Working...
                    X