Disallowance of form 5329 Office in Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disallowance of form 5329 Office in Home

Yesterday I read in a book published in 1981 that if a husband and wife BOTH had a
    schedule C business and BOTH use the SAME room for business use, NO deduction
    at all is allowed for the office in home expense. It would fail the EXCLUSIVE use
    for ONE business rule. I meant form 8829.
    Last edited by dyne; 04-03-2011, 02:06 PM. Reason: more info

The moral is

Stop reading old books!

Comment

Yes, I meant form 8829. The book stated that an IRS Tax Auditor disallowed the office in home expense because the taxpayer admitted that both he and his wife used the room for their TWO separate businesses reported on schedule C,s. The rules do say that the room or office must be used EXCLUSIVELY for the business for which the deduction is claimed. The use by the wife of the office would not meet the EXCLUSIVE use rule. I thought this was interesting.
      Last edited by dyne; 04-03-2011, 02:26 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Area

The room does not have to have exclusive use; the office area does. So, if the two spouses each have their own areas and use only their corresponding square footage, you would have two qualified home offices. If they share the room, desk, computer, etc., then neither uses the area regularly and exclusively.

Comment

Originally posted by Lion View Post
          The room does not have to have exclusive use; the office area does. So, if the two spouses each have their own areas and use only their corresponding square footage, you would have two qualified home offices. If they share the room, desk, computer, etc., then neither uses the area regularly and exclusively.
          Notice though TTB
          Author’s Comment: The fact that more than one business is using
          the home office does not disqualify the home office under the exclusive
          use test for another trade or business. In multiple business use
          situations, the exclusive use test is applied by combining all trades or
          businesses using the same home office. The exclusive use test fails if
          one of the business activities using the home office fails under one of
          the other tests.
          JG

Comment

Working...
          X