Good Tax Books-Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Tax Books-Reading

What are some good books to read to further tax knowledge, that you would recommend? I just saw some by Kaye Thomas (Fairmark). Not sure how good they are. Are there others you found helpful and worth having in the library? Thanks.

Other Books

When dealing with returns I am writing I reach first for the relevant part or parts of of TTB on the web including the vast library of IRS stuff and second for JK Lasser Your Income Tax Professional Edition. If a definitive answer is not to be found there or on this board I turn immediately to one of my Prof Orgs' research services. Sometimes I even go for both.

When dealing with a disputed point of tax law on an audit I turn first to Lasser which in the Professional Edition footnotes everything to relevant authorities. If I don't have enough there I turn next to TTB especially the authorities and if I still don't have enough I search free online Law Libraries. No free one has all that would be desirable and next year I may get the CFS Tax Tools research product or a more expensive online library with more hand holding.

Regardless of what my problem is with a State, I turn first to the relevant State website and next here.

When I decide I want to brush up on something or expand my expertise to include something I have not done before I usually take a continuing education course and usually self study. NATP is the best I've encountered but also the most expensive while PES is quite good and CPE Depot had a few very good courses but at least half were unacceptably out of date and or badly written and some were mostly cut and paste jobs from materials put out by other organizations. For example an Ethics course was a cut and paste job of Circular 230 and the AICPA Ethics Standards. The original writing in the text actually contained grammatical and spelling errors. I also found as late as November that the material was only current as of the previous November or December and had not been updated for things I knew about from this board and other sources.

Comment

Working...
    X