Vehicle License Tax in AZ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vehicle License Tax in AZ

Most, but not all of the amount of money paid to get or renew a license plate in AZ is deductible. If you look on the registration that comes with the payment (and should be kept in the glove compartment of the car), the amount listed as VLT (vehicle license tax) is deductible as personal property tax on Schedule A. There are other charges, including charges for personalized plates, that is not deductible.

Gary

Title and Reg Fee AZ

Gary,

Unfortunately clients don't always have the actual registration paper available, but they can always remember or find the total that they paid. So for those of us that receive the total amount, without the paper work, would we base it on the following:

Az has a title fee of $4, reg fee of $8 and air quality of $1.50. So wouldn't these be deducted from the total.? Plus any personalized plate fee and weight fee? Very minor compared to what we have in Calif. Our base usually starts at $40, then goes up from there.

from AZ DMV.org
    2) How much does it cost to title and register my vehicle?
    It varies depending on the vehicle. There is a $4.00 title fee; an $8.00 registration fee; plus an air quality research fee of $1.50; and a vehicle license tax (VLT) assessed in place of a personal property tax charged by other states. There may also be a weight fee for commercial vehicles and other fees. The VLT is based on an assessed value of 60% of the manufacturer's base retail price reduced by 16.25% for each year since the vehicle was first registered in Arizona (15% before 8/1/98). Then, as of the Dec 1, 2000 reduction, the rate is calculated as $2.80 (new vehicles)/$2.89 (used vehicles) for each $100 of the assessed value. For example, for a new vehicle that costs $25,000, the first year assessed value would be $15,000 and the VLT would be $420.00. The second year the assessed value would be $12,562.50 and the VLT would be $363.06.
    Sandy
    Last edited by S T; 03-19-2006, 10:02 PM.

Comment

The answer is yes.

Gary

Comment

Confirmation

Thanks Gary, for the confirmation.

Sandy

Comment

Original post

Did I not post this question? I wonder what happened to my original post. But in case this is in answer to my question, thanks to all of you very much. What a nice office we have.

Nevermind. Found my question below. Thanks still applies.
          Last edited by JG EA; 03-20-2006, 01:23 AM.
          JG

Comment

JG Post

Yes JG you posted, somehow Gary did post in response to your post but ended up a new post, so then I posted again.

Thank goodness we have the information. Yes we really do have a VERY nice Office! So glad everyone is here to help.

Sandy

Comment

New Thread

Yes, I posted a new thread so my response would not be lost in a thread with many other responses. Sorry. I won't do that again.

Gary

Comment

Working...
              X