SP2, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SP2, again

I've been wondering, for some time, how many of you have dealt with the SP2 issues we were all concerned with last year?

Many of us did not download and install SP2 after some of the horror stories we were hearing. I have a new computer at home that came with SP2 and have had NO problems, but my computers at work do not have this and I have been wondering if you all have found a solution to this? Many people still say no to installing it.

I would like to hear what all of you think about this now and how you dealt with the problems you might have had after installing SP2.

Dennis
    Last edited by DTS; 08-05-2005, 11:13 PM. Reason: added things

sp2

I haven't had any problem with sp2, I even got one of the cheaper machine (e-machine). My tax software (Lacerte) does seem to keep updating the program because of sp2.

Comment

Sp2

I was told by two computer techs not to download SP2 because of the tax software programs and also Quickbooks.

They both suggested that I load SP2 on one machine only and make sure I had all of my important programs installed and then work those programs diligently, like I would every day, to see if there were any error messages or crashes.

So far, I haven't had the time yet! So I am still on SP1. I do have SP2 on one machine that is basically just used for internet and some email, not actual program processing. I get glitches about once a week and have to clean and reboot.

Sandy

Comment

I think it is also safe to say to still not install it over SP1. Now if you went out and bought a new Windows XP SP2 or like I got a new Dell computer with it installed it is okay. My tax program has been okay as has QuickBooks. But I think there are just some issues with installing it over SP1.

One of my customers installed SP2 without telling me and now PcAnywhere will no longer work as it would before. SP2 handles networking differently than SP1. Like you can't have a wired and wireless network at the same time. Or if you do it shows some errors.

Comment

Sp2

CD, you probably have a good point there about installing SP2 over SP1, used to have the same problem with the old Windows 98 and installing the newer versions. Just never seems to work quite right.

Thank goodness, I haven't installed on the computers that we work with every day on QB and the Tax Programs.

Sandy

Comment

What is SP2?

Maybe a dumb question, but what is SP2?

Linda

Comment

Sp2

Linda, I hope this helps

Windows XP Service Pack 2

About once a year, Microsoft releases an update to Windows XP. These updates contain all the fixes and enhancements which have been made available in the previous year. The updates (called Service Packs) provide convenient, all-in-one access to the most up-to-date drivers, tools, security updates, patches, and customer-requested product changes.

The latest Service Pack for Windows XP—Service Pack 2 (SP2)—is all about security, and it’s one of the most important service packs ever released. It provides better protection against viruses, hackers, and worms, and includes Windows Firewall, Pop-up Blocker for Internet Explorer, and the new Windows Security Center.

Comment

Sp2

The problems I was having last year were not directly related to SP2 but to Norton Internet Security. This program has elements that cannot be removed from your computer except by reformating the hard drive. The Norton and Windows SP2 would not work together for me. I had all kinds of horrors when both were on my hard drive.

I wrote Norton and asked for my money back. Of course, NO REPLY. I didn't expect one.
                I reformatted both of my computers, download SP2 with XP Windows. Then I downloaded a security program by Computer Associates. Everything works fine now.

Comment

SPwhatever

A few years back we had problems with Norton messing up Ultra Tax. We had to get use to turning off Norton and turning it back on. Not fun for a forgetful one, who has allways been computer challanged...

Comment

Protection

Gene's explanation to Linda about the security issue was one of the reasons I was asking about this. My computer at work has begun to slow down, however, everything is very clean. This slow down is quite noticeable.

This week, on a friend's advice (much more computer saavy), I'm going to buy an external drive...just in case. I wish I knew more of this stuff, but I know just a enough to be dangerous. This friend suggested a Western Digital or Martech (sp?) 3 1/2" external drive to backup. Familiar with either of these?

Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by Chief
                      The problems I was having last year were not directly related to SP2 but to Norton Internet Security. This program has elements that cannot be removed from your computer except by reformating the hard drive. The Norton and Windows SP2 would not work together for me. I had all kinds of horrors when both were on my hard drive.

I wrote Norton and asked for my money back. Of course, NO REPLY. I didn't expect one.
                      I reformatted both of my computers, download SP2 with XP Windows. Then I downloaded a security program by Computer Associates. Everything works fine now.

Well, you just ruined my day....

I have Windows XP Service Pack 2, and I was just informed yesterday that my Nortan anti virus subscription was running out, so I click on renew, get sent to their web site, and see three choices to renew. The same, better, and best. Naturally I pick best. Hey, for $39.95 I get the best possible. Right? It says I just ordered Norton Internet Security. Should I ask for my money back?

Comment

Norton Internet Security

Bees, While I didn't have the same problems as Billy did last year, Norton Internet Security caused all kinds of problems on my computer in 2003 on XP SP1. I was able to to remove and then all was well.

My experience is DO NOT USE Norton Internet Security! The regular Aniti Virus or Systems Tools is fine with SP1 for sure. I still have not upgraded to SP2 on my working computers, only on one computer that I use only for internet research and some emails.

Sandy

PS Do you have any influence? Can we get spell check on our postings???? I edit more for spelling sometimes than I do for content.

Comment

Norton INternet Security

Yes it has caused problems on a client's computer. Come to think of it he updated to SP2 and then to Norton internet security. That is when I was unable to access his computer via PC Anywhere. I think the conflict comes from that both Norton and Windows is trying to protect you PC at the same time.

I actually quit using Norton. I started using Panda Antivirus and haven't had as many problems as I did when using Norton.

Dennis, Office Depot has a Maxtor 100gig external harddrive for $99 after rebates. That is a very good deal. I prefer Maxtor over Western Digital. I don't know why exactly but I just always go for Maxtor unless Western Digital is on sale. I've never heard of Martech.

Also Office Max has an Western Digital 80gig external Harddrive for $59 after rebates.

Comment

More Computer Stuff

CD, agree, the Norton is apparently just not up to speed with Microsoft. I know DTS switched to Panda on one of his computers recently. I am just running the Norton AntiVirus and using their System Works, not the Internet Security Module (that was a nightmare).

Also, on the hard drives, I like both Maxtor and Western Digital,as most Techs do. I have had good luck with either of them. Don't know about Martech either, I haven't heard of them.

Sandy

Comment

Do I have any influence???

Originally posted by S T
                              PS Do you have any influence? Can we get spell check on our postings???? I edit more for spelling sometimes than I do for content.
                              That sounds like you are trying to appeal to my ego to get me to do something just to prove to you that I really do have influence….;^)

I usually write my responses in Word and use spell check in that program. Then copy and paste it into the message board doc. I got in that habit back on QF where you had one shot to get it right, or be stuck with your bad spelling for all eternity.

But I believe this new program has spell check built into it. There are all kinds of features that are turned off to cut down on the goofing off everyone would do, such as smiley faces, and so forth. I will see if we can get spell check turned back on. If it isn’t built into the program, then we are stuck having to spell check in our word processing programs prior to posting to the message board.

Comment

Working...
                              X