Daughter Claimed Self as Dep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter Claimed Self as Dep

She made 5340, claimed self as dependent, College student, dependent of parents.
    Parents can use Hope credit and receive 2500 credit. She use EF and should receive
    money today. Parents ef and rejected because claimed herself. The only way I know how to handle it is to Amended her return and not claim exemption and then parents can claim her. Any other better ideas?

exactly!! that's what i have done for the past couple years

Comment

How do I know when to send parents return in?

I was wondering how I will know when to file the parents return with her as dep.
      Would when the check shows deposited, but they probably deposit the check
      before the return is changed. Any ideas?
      Thanks for the reply.

Comment

You will have to paper file

both the child's amend and the parent's return. Or send theirs without the child information to get some refund fast and paper file an amend for them to add child back in and claim AOC credit. The amend for the child will not go through in time to efile the parent's with the child on it.
        AJ, EA

Comment

Go ahead

[QUOTE=Bobby;115257]I was wondering how I will know when to file the parents return with her as dep.QUOTE]

Just go ahead and mail parents' return. Amend daughter's return sometime in the next six months before two and two get put together. (I would do it now.)

Just like the divorced people that both claim the kid. They both get the benefit and then a letter in the summer sometime, right? I bet a lot never correct their returns and get away with it, too. Oh, sorry. Boy, I am cynical today.
          If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

The Parents Return Has Already Been Rejected by EF

How long does it take an amended return to clear. I was just going to amend the dtg and then efile the parents. What is the date that I can't EF the parents.
            This the first time this has happened to me.
            I was going to wait for the amended return to clear and then EF the parents.

Comment

You can EF the parents right up until 10/15/11 if they file an extension.

Comment

I've seen ameded returns take anywhere from 2 months to 6 months, with the average probably being 3 months or so. In the interim, the client will get little comfort notes letting them kow IRS hasn't forgotten about them. I don't recall anything ever having taken less than 2 months. Your mileage may vary...
                "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Attach a copy . . .

of the daughters amended return to the parents return and mail it in. Write a letter explaining what happened and attach that also. Someone always does this every year and that is how I handle it. Parents can get their refund sooner this way.

Comment

Thanks

that's a new idea I had never thought heard about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby View Post
                      She made 5340, claimed self as dependent, College student, dependent of parents.
                      Parents can use Hope credit and receive 2500 credit. She use EF and should receive
                      money today. Parents ef and rejected because claimed herself. The only way I know how to handle it is to Amended her return and not claim exemption and then parents can claim her. Any other better ideas?
                      Are the parent's entitled to claim the daughter as their dependent?

Comment

Working...
                      X