Required to get them to pay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Required to get them to pay

Is it fine that I prepare and file a return that the client cannot pay the tax owed. It is not my job to find a payment plan for them is it?
    Last edited by RNuse09; 02-10-2011, 09:34 PM. Reason: tired

I think not

The t/p would be engaging your services to prepare an accurate tax return.
    The monies owed on the tax return are no reflection on you as the preparer.
    If you choose to provide them with the IRS or State installment forms or arrange payments that is up to you and could be either a no charge additional service, or an additional cost.

The monies due are strictly relative to the taxpayer.

Sandy
    Last edited by S T; 02-11-2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RNuse09 View Post
      Is it fine that I prepare and file a return that the client cannot pay the tax owed. It is not my job to find a payment plan for them is it?
      Sure, this happens for many of my clients....but, like what was mentioned, if you feel comfortable and are able to, charge a fee for the installment or walk away with the prep fees only.....

Comment

The clients usually appreciate the help in setting up an installment agreement. If they owe less thatn $25k and are otherwise in good standing, it's a piece of cake to handle. Almost too easy.
        "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Service

What do I have to sell really? It is service! Anyway that I can service my clients and help them makes me more valuable to them. I help them fill out the payment form if they ask me to and I do not charge for it.

Does this help? Does it work? I know that I am working part time out of my house and it looks like I will add about 50 more this year. My clients tell people all the time about me. Works for me.

Another thing that I never get upset about is a missed appointment. I always have returns waiting to be done so if someone does not show up I just work through their appointment working on another return.

Dusty

Comment

Good attitude.
            I agree wholeheartedly.
            I do everything possible to keep my clients out of my office so I can get some work done. A missed appointment just means I pull another one from the stack. And when they call with their excuse, I suggest again that they mail the info to me and i will email or call them if I have questions.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Installment Agreement

I will tell them about Installment Agreements and set up an Installment Agreement if they want it.
              If they don't want one, I tell them to file the return, pay what they can, and wait for the IRS to come looking for them.

Comment

i didnt have clients who owed the last few years, but when they did owe, i did exactly like taxxcpa posted.

Comment

attitude is important

I agree with Dusty and John H. I will do what I can to help the client. If they unexpectedly owe money to the IRS, I will tell them their options. Since I electronically file all returns, I tell them they have until April 15, 18th this year to make the payment.
                  Give them payment voucher and highlight the important data
                  If they need an payment agreement, give that to them.

When you take an extra 5 or 10 minutes with someone like that, usually they are very grateful and they tell their friends how helpful you are. Then you get more nice clients.
                  It's working for me.

For some of these people, they are heartsick that they owe money and really are hard up right now. Then there are those that owe every year and so you do the return, give them the payment voucher and tell them to send what they can (but they don't) and they will add this year's to what they already owe IRS. For them it is just life.....pay IRS monthly.

Linda, EA

Comment

Working...
                  X