tax software ripoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tax software ripoff

I guess my 1st "cold" of the tax season (given to me by an INCONSIDERATE prospective client who came into my office sniffling etc) has made me grumpy! I am embarassed to admit that I was gonna switch tax software this season (changed after 10 yrs with same company) - went to a "presentation" showing benefits/features of NEW software - AFTER purchasing 2 sets of new software (one for each office) data conversion program (2 months late) converted old data to their software - checked 20 returns and NOT ONE was converted completely (or correctly) - after that I decided to stay with old software company and the new company KEPT $400 of my purchase price as a "re-stocking fee"! Grr...
    Several years ago I would be putting up a fight but now I'm gonna chaulk it up to experience!

Originally posted by luke View Post
    I guess my 1st "cold" of the tax season (given to me by an INCONSIDERATE prospective client who came into my office sniffling etc) has made me grumpy! I am embarassed to admit that I was gonna switch tax software this season (changed after 10 yrs with same company) - went to a "presentation" showing benefits/features of NEW software - AFTER purchasing 2 sets of new software (one for each office) data conversion program (2 months late) converted old data to their software - checked 20 returns and NOT ONE was converted completely (or correctly) - after that I decided to stay with old software company and the new company KEPT $400 of my purchase price as a "re-stocking fee"! Grr...
    Several years ago I would be putting up a fight but now I'm gonna chaulk it up to experience!
    I don't know of any "non source code" conversion that works in total. Some are better than others. But they all claim to have conversion capability. Conversions must be done over the summer and each and every file brought up to speed. Can't do it January.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Conversions

I changed software this year but did the conversions last summer before I purchased the software. I feel for you.

Comment

Agreed

If you, for whatever reason, choose to convert from Software A to Software B, it probably is an unwise move to do so during (even early) tax season. Even if the conversions work, which is more unlikely as the complexity of any given return increases, you still should take the time to review the "new" data before proceeding.

This project is best done in the summer. Convert (or even re-enter!) data during the summer using the "old" year and then you can more easily update to the "new" year with far less sleepless nights.

FE

Comment

I just remembered, when I switched from Tax Relief to Ultra Tax ( source code takeover) I still had my share of fixes. Some of them I did not find until tax season started, very annoying, but minimal issues.
          Last edited by BOB W; 01-16-2011, 02:47 PM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I had problems when I converted from Microvision to Ultra Tax, and then again when I went from Ultra Tax to ATX. In both cases, the first season involved adding missing data and double-checking every return against the previous year. In each case, t wasn't until the second year that I felt comfortable with my software and began to trust it. I think you just have to assume there are going to be conversion problems when switching software and be prepared to deal with them.
            "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I switched from

Tax Works to TRX (less expensive). No conversion problems but lost a few nice features of Tax Works. Saved me money though, so the switch was worth it.

Comment

I didn't convert

The one time I changed software I elected NOT to do any conversions so my first year on the new software it was as though every client was a new client except that for the returning clients I had the previous years' return on my computer. I had heard so much about conversion problems that this way seemed like it would be easier.

Comment

This is the product

Originally posted by jimenright View Post
                  Tax Works to TRX (less expensive). No conversion problems but lost a few nice features of Tax Works. Saved me money though, so the switch was worth it.
                  I changed to last year and had no conversion problems either. I love this software but I LOVE the price.

Peachie

Comment

Originally posted by Peachie View Post
                    I changed to last year and had no conversion problems either. I love this software but I LOVE the price.

Peachie
                    While conversions are troublesome it is better to do the conversion and fix any problems then to start from scratch as a new client on the new program. All conversions should be on the prior year's return during the summer. This will make corrections easier as you have a final copy to work from. You need to look at carryovers, AMT carryforward, depreciation and any other less obvious areas of the tax return that could effect next years return.
                    Last edited by BOB W; 01-16-2011, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X