Wrong period entered on EFTPS 941 payment today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong period entered on EFTPS 941 payment today

Well, John warned us this could happen, so I am happy to report that I got it over with today. Just now in fact.

Client who is always late gives me his payroll figures for December this morning. I just submitted the payment online, and entered the wrong period. (Actually, I just didn't change the default from "March 2011".)

So, the payment is due the 18th, which means I can't cancel the payment and resubmit cause I don't have two business days.

What would you do? Call 1-800-555-4477? I did, and it's busy.

Compose a letter? What address would you use?

Forget it for now and hope it's after tax season when client gets the "your accountant screwed up" letter?
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Hi Rita - Easy fix with a POA and a call to the tax practitioner hotline. The toll-free number for this service is 1-866-860-4259.

Comment

We had a client

in yesterday that did that exact same thing. So 4th quarter deposit is listed as 1st qtr 2011. The helpful person at the IRS eftps help line told him he could wait ten business days and then call back and get it moved to the correct period. Not sure why the wait.
      As was eluded to , if you set the date to pay more than two days ahead you can always cancel the payment and do it correctly. but not on the day before it is due to be paid.
      You may be able to get faster service by calling hotline??
      AJ, EA

Comment

E Services

If you are signed on E-Servies with POA on the client for this return, you can send them an email, and they will correct, before the discrepancy is even found. for paper notice. It will still show up on both year's transcripts and the changes.

Sandy
        Last edited by S T; 01-14-2011, 11:07 PM.

Comment

A AJ suggested, wait the ten days, then deal with it with a POA if you'r e in a hurry. Otherwise file the 941 with you as contact person and deal with it when the notice comes.
          it's a natural mistake, one easily made in view of the IRS approach to that particular page which lists current period first by default. I noticed it last week. IRS should take some steps to correct this confusing EFTS page.
          IOW, it's THEIR fault! And point that out to them when talking with the person on the phone. We should all take that opportunity to help.
          ChEAr$,
          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Thanks, Everybody

I appreciate the help!!

You should have seen me when I clicked the button to submit and saw the "March 2011". I leaned forward and cried, "Come back! Come back!"

Then, "Aw, snap." Except not snap.

Comment

Hope you get this straightened out quickly Rita. You know, we always learn much more from our mistakes than from our successes. Sometimes the mistakes can cost us money, other times they just cost us time. Just chalk it up as a learning experience with no out-of-pocket conequences.
              "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Yeah

Yeah, I've had to cancel a payment for a different client in the past, but that other client gets his stuff to me at least a week early, so it was no sweat.

This guy is habitually late, but up till now I could just call him and say, "Your coupon is ready." And, the ball was in his court.

I'm not liking this EFTPS too much for that reason. I will definitely increase fees to cover the increased responsibility. It's less work for them, so I don't expect any whining.

Comment

So I take it there's no chance of getting the client to learn to do it? I have two that I expected to never get the hang of it, but they came right on board. It was a pleasant surprise.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Working...
                  X