Form 8879 -Preparer Doesn't Sign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Form 8879 -Preparer Doesn't Sign

I have the taxpayers sign the 8879 form but I do not. The software prints my name in the signature block. I check with my software developer each year to see if this is correct. They say I do not have to sign. Anybody else heard of this?

yep, same as having the software electronically print on a paper return.

Comment

A printed name is not really a signature.

I always sign over it on printed returns, 8879's, and client's copy of all returns. It would be a silly thing to get into trouble over!
      Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

I agree with Appelman. By signing the form, I can prove that is the form I prepared.
        When I have people sign the 8879's, engagement letter, direct deposit forms, and what ever, I also sign them or at least inital them. I only sign the forms I keep, except the engagement letter that I think they need a copy with my signature.

Comment

I ALWAYS sign the 8879

Barring the availability of secure electronic/computer-generated signatures, I always make it a point to sign such documents.

Anyone with minimal computing skills can create a computer-generated document.

I figure the trivial amount of time used to sign any Form 8879 (which the IRS can examine if they wish!) as an ERO is a small price to pay should any "problems" occur down the road.

FE

Comment

How

Originally posted by zeros View Post
            The software prints my name in the signature block. I
            My software(ProSeries) will print my name on the signature forms like 1040, 1040a, 1040ez.
            How do you get it to print on 8879.

Comment

Drake Software

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
              My software(ProSeries) will print my name on the signature forms like 1040, 1040a, 1040ez.
              Not sure I can answer that. I think I set it up one year and it does it automatically each year. It must be in the ability of the software (Drake).

Comment

different software

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
                Of the three software packages I use, two electronically sign the 8879, one will not.

The electronic signature applied the computer is accepted by the IRS as a valid signature on nearly all forms.

The only forms that should bear the preparers signature are the official filing copies. All others should be blank in that area. Your name and number should be on them, but not your signature.
                this can all be found somewhere in the instructions for the various forms.
                AJ, EA

Comment

you can sign

Originally posted by appelman View Post
                  I always sign over it on printed returns, 8879's, and client's copy of all returns. It would be a silly thing to get into trouble over!
                  over the name if you want to, by all means, But the fact is that the printed signature is valid for IRS purposes.
                  AJ, EA

Comment

However...

Originally posted by AJsTax View Post

...The only forms that should bear the preparers signature are the official filing copies.

All others should be blank in that area. Your name and number should be on them, but not your signature.
                    Not to belabor the point, but is not the Form 8879 for all intents and purposes "the official filing copy" ???

Or are you instead saying the Form 8879 must have the taxpayer signature(s) but not that of the ERO??

FE

Comment

Electronic Signature

My software has electronic signature ability for both the tax return and the 8879 forms, which is the program printing my name on the signature line - I have a default for it in my program.

Is that not good enough???

Sandy

Comment

Try this

Does anyone know the answer:

If Joe Fastform is preparing taxes at the local H&R Block store, does Joe not have to sign the Form 8879 or is "the company name" sufficient in and of itself?

FE

Comment

Signature

Well, according to H&R, if Joe doesn't sign the 8879s, he will be working elsewhere. The inhouse audits require all documents, such as client service agreements, 8879s, have the tax preparers signature.

Comment

Not the same issue

Originally posted by FEDUKE404 View Post
                            Does anyone know the answer:

If Joe Fastform is preparing taxes at the local H&R Block store, does Joe not have to sign the Form 8879 or is "the company name" sufficient in and of itself?

FE
                            We are actually talking about three seperate issues with different rules.
                            Quote from IRS page"All electronically filed tax returns must now be signed using a Personal Identification Number (PIN). A PIN is any five digits you choose (except all zeros) to use as your electronic signature." When you send a return electronically the PIN you enter as a taxpayer and as the ERO IS your signature.
                            The 8879 you keep in the office is the official proof of the authorization from the client to send the return via E-file. That must be signed by the clients to acknowledge the pins for them and your authorization. The ERO must sign at the bottom, BUT a mechanically applied signature of your name printed by the software is accetable as the official signature. I will find that paragraph later today when I get some more time. (I am up to my eye balls in 4th QTR and W-2s right now).
                            A company such as H&R Block can decided not to use the electronic signature function and require their preparers to manually sign the 8879 and customer agreements. As long as I worked there we never manually signed the client copies going out the door. The reason being you have no idea what is or could be changed on those forms after they leave the office and therefor should not be signed. If you are doing extra insurance or bank products those rules are totally outside the discussion of IRS rules.
                            AJ, EA

Comment

Working...
                            X