Wholly Owned LLC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wholly Owned LLC

There's no "reasonable salary" requirement for the wholly owned LLCs. Or is there?

(by "reasonable salary" i'm referring to the rule which S corp shareholders are subject to)

Well, is it treated as a "disregarded entity?" As such, it would be ignored and a Sche C prepared subj to SE tax. No salary. Or did he ask that it be taxed as an S-Corp?

Comment

I take it from the nature of your question that the LLC has elected for the business to be treated as an "S-Corp". If so, then the business will be expected to conform to all rules which apply to S-Corps, including reasonable salary issues. The IRS is looking at the S-Corp itself, irrespective of whether the underlying ownership is via being an LLC member or a shareholder.
      Last edited by JohnH; 01-12-2011, 12:27 PM.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

more info

Originally posted by tacks View Post
        There's no "reasonable salary" requirement for the wholly owned LLCs. Or is there?

(by "reasonable salary" i'm referring to the rule which S corp shareholders are subject to)
        Originally posted by JohnH View Post
        I take it from the nature of your question that the LLC has elected for the business to be treated as an "S-Corp". If so, then the business will be expected to conform to all rules which apply to S-Corps, including reasonable salary issues. The IRS is looking at the S-Corp itself, irrespective of whether the underlying ownership is via being an LLC member or a shareholder.
        Yup....need more info. If no election, no, if election for S-corp treatment, yes.

Comment

Big thanks

Thanks to everyone for responding. I was at an associate's place of business doing tax planning for him and his associates. In other words there's fair amount of $$$$$ contingent on what i'm able to do. And therefor what i know.

Getting fast answers was crucial -- more helpful than i can describe.

Comment

Working...
          X