It is heck getting older....Venting rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kpangelinan View Post
    Yup, they're trying to make it illegal to spank.....OK....just one of many things.....
    "Spare the rod and spoil the child">>>>I've tried it and it doesn't work well.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Bill Cosby and

his childhood.

My father established our relationship when I was seven years old. He looked at me and said, "You know, I brought you in this world, and I can take you out. And it don't make no difference to me, I'll make another one look just like you."

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
        "Spare the rod and spoil the child">>>>I've tried it and it doesn't work well.
        Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."

Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."

Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."

Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."

Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (Shoel)."

Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."

Hebrews 12:6-7: "...the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son. Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?"

Comment

Originally posted by kpangelinan View Post
          Prov 13:24: "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes (diligently)."

Prov 19:18: "Chasten thy son while there is hope, and let not thy soul spare for his crying."

Prov 22:15: "Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him."

Prov 23:13: "Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die."

Prov 23:14: "Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell (Shoel)."

Prov 29:15: "The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame."

Hebrews 12:6-7: "...the Lord disciplines those he loves, and he punishes everyone he accepts as a son. Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as sons. For what son is not disciplined by his father?"
          That was GOOD........... I knew there was something wrong with such a non careing statement. Thanks for those Proverbs, they mean alot to me.

Although I am 68, I have a 12 year old boy. He is starting to feel his oats. So I will consider my next step. I won't use a rod but I will be a little more agressive in other ways.
          Last edited by BOB W; 01-13-2011, 10:17 PM.
          This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Originally posted by veritas View Post
            his childhood.

My father established our relationship when I was seven years old. He looked at me and said, "You know, I brought you in this world, and I can take you out. And it don't make no difference to me, I'll make another one look just like you."

I don't think I could say that to my son, but it sounds funny when said by a comic.

Comment

Hang on

That was GOOD........... I knew there was something wrong with such a non careing statement. Thanks for those Proverbs, they mean alot to me.

Although I am 68, I have a 12 year old boy. He is starting to feel his oats. So I will consider my next step. I won't use a rod but I will be a little more agressive in other ways.
              Here is another scripture that really encouraged me:

“...Pour out your heart like water before the face of the Lord. Lift your hands toward Him For the life of your young children...” - Lamentations 2:19.

When my now 22-year-old was 12, I thought I might crack. Talk about a pistol! It is harder to discipline than be a buddy. Well, kids have enough buddies; they need parents.

W. C. Fields said, “Madam, there's no such thing as a tough child - if you parboil them first for seven hours, they always come out tender.”

(Yeah, I'm not sure he's the authority on these things either.)

But, I am happy to say that the little firecracker has become a fine young man. The other day he told his little brother to watch his language when he called the dog a jackass.
              If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Comment

"When my now 22-year-old was 12, I thought I might crack. Talk about a pistol! It is harder to discipline than be a buddy. Well, kids have enough buddies; they need parents."

I like that too... Thanks.... My wife always calls him "Buddy", I'll have her change that too.

Comment

take away privileges or toys

For some kids, you can take away some of their privileges or something that means a lot to them.
                  I think though one of the most important things in discipline is to make sure they understand what they have done wrong and why it was wrong.
                  I know it is hard when you are upset with them to be calm and have a discussion, but it is important. What we want to do is change their behavior so they have to understand why it isn't acceptable.

Easy to say now that I am a grandparent. But we do get wiser with age. And when you have your grandchildren with you, you still have to discipline them.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                    For some kids, you can take away some of their privileges or something that means a lot to them.
                    I think though one of the most important things in discipline is to make sure they understand what they have done wrong and why it was wrong.
                    I know it is hard when you are upset with them to be calm and have a discussion, but it is important. What we want to do is change their behavior so they have to understand why it isn't acceptable.

Easy to say now that I am a grandparent. But we do get wiser with age. And when you have your grandchildren with you, you still have to discipline them.

Linda
                    I appreciate all your comments. It is not as if this is my first child, I have four others> 38,39,40 and 41. None of them speak to me after my first (and only) divorce but I was hard on them with no support from my X. Both parents have to be on the same track otherwise one is the good guy and the other is the bad guy, I'm the bad guy.

Comment

Not meant for you in particular

My thoughts were not meant for you in particular, Bob W. Just in line with what others were saying about problems of raising kids and how things have changed.

I will have to give it to you. I don't think I could raise another child at my age. So hang in there. You will do fine.

Linda

Comment

Originally posted by oceanlovin'ea View Post
                        My thoughts were not meant for you in particular, Bob W. Just in line with what others were saying about problems of raising kids and how things have changed.

I will have to give it to you. I don't think I could raise another child at my age. So hang in there. You will do fine.

Linda
                        I guess I went overboard in my comment but I was making a point that parents have to be on the same path when controlling a child's behavior.

Comment

Gary2 said the he wears contact lenses, I assume he is wearing them to correct his vision, not to correct his cataracts.

While I am not a doctor, wearing contacts can take its toll on the eye ball. The fact that Gary2 has cataracts at such a young age leaves me suspect of contact lenses.
                          Laser surgery won't cure presbyopia, plus it can raise complications for cataract surgery. I expect many people who've had laser surgery to be real annoyed when they hit their 50s and discover they need glasses again.

The contacts give me flexibility. For cycling and movies, I can switch to a distance contact and carry some reading glasses. I can get both monofocal and multifocal contacts, and wear whichever one suits my plans for the day.

I doubt the contacts have any connection with the cataracts, except perhaps indirectly. It's most likely genetic, but sun exposure could be a contributing factor. In recent years, I've always worn sunglasses with my contacts, but can't swear that I did twenty years ago. I don't know whether the ordinary glasses I wore earlier in life have the same UV protection that modern glasses (and contacts) have.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary2 View Post
                            Laser surgery won't cure presbyopia, plus it can raise complications for cataract surgery. I expect many people who've had laser surgery to be real annoyed when they hit their 50s and discover they need glasses again.

The contacts give me flexibility. For cycling and movies, I can switch to a distance contact and carry some reading glasses. I can get both monofocal and multifocal contacts, and wear whichever one suits my plans for the day.

I doubt the contacts have any connection with the cataracts, except perhaps indirectly. It's most likely genetic, but sun exposure could be a contributing factor. In recent years, I've always worn sunglasses with my contacts, but can't swear that I did twenty years ago. I don't know whether the ordinary glasses I wore earlier in life have the same UV protection that modern glasses (and contacts) have.
                            Thanks for the update Gary2. Now I know a little more.

Comment

Working...
                            X