X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Case

From TTB 1040 Ed p 3-21 • Class action and other settlements for consumer
    goods or services if amounts were not deducted
    in an earlier year. This is listed under examples of nontaxable lawsuit proceeds.

OK now for the facts of my case. Everyone involved is a client. Adult son who is not dependent receives $100 from a class action settlement against McKesson for charging too much for prescription drugs. Son did not deduct the costs of these drugs. However Son has for some time met all of the tests to be a qualifying relative of parents except gross income and therefore PARENTS have both paid and deducted all of Son's medical. Check has not been cashed and I am being asked what should be done. All are agreed that the son is going to actually keep the money but all want the party if any who should be taxed on the money to report it and be taxed. I can think of three possibilities and I invite any to suggest others.

Son does not report the money as taxable to him because after all he did not deduct the expenses which are being refunded.

Son reports the money as taxable because he knows that his parents deducted it.

Son reports it as nominee income (line 21?) and issues (1099M?) to parents who report it because they deducted it.

We all know that my first option is what most clients would actually do if no 1099M was received and they'd probably get away with it. But like many of my clients these people want to do the right thing and I am leaning toward number three but I want to make sure it is actually necessary to do that and the middle one wouldn't fly if there were an audit.

Originally posted by erchess View Post
    From TTB 1040 Ed p 3-21 • Class action and other settlements for consumer
    goods or services if amounts were not deducted
    in an earlier year. This is listed under examples of nontaxable lawsuit proceeds.

OK now for the facts of my case. Everyone involved is a client. Adult son who is not dependent receives $100 from a class action settlement against McKesson for charging too much for prescription drugs. Son did not deduct the costs of these drugs. However Son has for some time met all of the tests to be a qualifying relative of parents except gross income and therefore PARENTS have both paid and deducted all of Son's medical. Check has not been cashed and I am being asked what should be done. All are agreed that the son is going to actually keep the money but all want the party if any who should be taxed on the money to report it and be taxed. I can think of three possibilities and I invite any to suggest others.

Son does not report the money as taxable to him because after all he did not deduct the expenses which are being refunded.

Son reports the money as taxable because he knows that his parents deducted it.

Son reports it as nominee income (line 21?) and issues (1099M?) to parents who report it because they deducted it.

We all know that my first option is what most clients would actually do if no 1099M was received and they'd probably get away with it. But like many of my clients these people want to do the right thing and I am leaning toward number three but I want to make sure it is actually necessary to do that and the middle one wouldn't fly if there were an audit.
    Was there a tax benefit when the parents deducted it?
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Yes

The parents received substantial tax savings from deducting their son's medical expenses. Their own barely get over the 7.5% threshold but with his I think about 25% of agi is medical. He has poor health and no insurance and because he resides with them they don't even investigate the possibility of government or drug company assistance because in their minds he should not qualify. They don't look at it with the question "How much help can we conceivably get?" but rather "Do we really need help?"

Comment

The parents received substantial tax savings from deducting their son's medical expenses. Their own barely get over the 7.5% threshold but with his I think about 25% of agi is medical. He has poor health and no insurance and because he resides with them they don't even investigate the possibility of government or drug company assistance because in their minds he should not qualify. They don't look at it with the question "How much help can we conceivably get?" but rather "Do we really need help?"
        For the $100, let the parents claim it. Is there going to be a 1099 issued to the son? If yes, don't report it if son is not required to file. If required to file, don't report it if 1040EZ or 1040 with no schedule A.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

MMMMMM Bob

Son makes about 9 or 10 K in a self employment activity so yes he is required to and does file. His parents provide most of his support as his profit is plowed back into his business or used to pay his older credit card debt.

Comment

Son makes about 9 or 10 K in a self employment activity so yes he is required to and does file. His parents provide most of his support as his profit is plowed back into his business or used to pay his older credit card debt.
            Doesn't sound like he files a schedule A and didn't received any tax benefit for the deduction (that he didn't take).

Comment

well

No he didn't get a tax benefit but his parents did.

Comment

No he didn't get a tax benefit but his parents did.
                So have the parents report the income. This will make YOU most correct if any questions comes up.

Comment

Thank You Bob

I get it now thank you.

Comment

If you can issue a nominee 1099 you probably should. Of course if the son's SE income isn't (entirely) on 1099-MISC anyhow, it's unlikely the IRS matching program will catch it. I'm with Bob on having the parents declare the $100

Comment

Working...
                    X