Tablet for client Digital Signatures and copy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tablet for client Digital Signatures and copy

Does a preparer need to keep the signed paper "original" of say form 8879 or can one keep a "copy" of it?

In this day of "electronics" and "paperless", one can now use a "tablet" where the client can sign on the "tablet" and on the computer is the form 8879 in a pdf where the signature is transmitted and then the pdf is saved (saves paper and space) and can be printed if necessary.

thanks in advance
    Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Digital is fine, can always be printed and would not look different than a fax signature, which is accepted as well.

Comment

Just curious as I am a bit of a tree hugger and would love to do away with having my clients sign paper 8879's in my office - is there a special software that saves the signature to affix in a pdf file? Do you have fillable 8879 forms?

I know for my own signature I have it saved in a file and I use adobe to "stamp" the signature in the appropriate place.

Comment

I believe

that the tablets in question come with software you install on your computer. Then you hook the pad to a usb port on the computer and use the software to send a pdf to the tablet and get it back signed from the tablet. As you know, IRS and State forms are generally available in pdf format. I think you might need software that does not come with the tablet if you wanted to produce your own pdfs. For example the free Open Office Program can make any word processing or spreadsheet document a pdf.

Comment

Tablet & Pen

I have been doing quite a bit of research on this where you can use a product that is a "tablet & pen" - requries a little setup adjustment as to where you want the client to sign on the form (the manufacurer has great tech support and would not take ling to learn)

Also, looking into "e-signature" tablets which are a little more money but in the long run I think will be beneficial.

Originally posted by equinecpa View Post
          Just curious as I am a bit of a tree hugger and would love to do away with having my clients sign paper 8879's in my office - is there a special software that saves the signature to affix in a pdf file? Do you have fillable 8879 forms?

I know for my own signature I have it saved in a file and I use adobe to "stamp" the signature in the appropriate place.
          Always cite your source for support to defend your opinion

Comment

Working...
          X