Just to be clear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to be clear

IRS says not even to transmit a Schedule A return until mid to late February.

The problem is, if I enter all the data into the program ahead of time and have the client sign the e-file authorization, there is a chance our software may get updated between that time and mid to late February when we can transmit the return to IRS.

I'm not sure I even want to do that because if the software company takes its time working out all possible bugs, I can't trust the return is going to be accurate if I prepare it ahead of time.

I've decided to tell all my clients I won't even start entering data until after IRS is ready. I may be putting many on extension this year. Maybe now is a good time to take a vacation.

I am making appointments and doing tax returns. I'm having them sign the 8879. If all goes OK I'm good to go. If not, they will have to sign another 8879.

I can't squeeze in 450 people in March. I'm a one man show and I'm not loading up April while I'm working on Payroll reports.

Recalculations take seconds, Appointments takes many minutes, or hours.

Anytime I can get the bulk of taxpayer's info in the system I am happy. How many time do you put a return on hold waiting for more info from a client?
    Last edited by BOB W; 01-03-2011, 01:22 PM.
    This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

Extensions take minutes as well.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Unhappy clients will be the result. What about those that owe? Too many potential problems for me.
        This post is for discussion purposes only and should be verified with other sources before actual use.

Many times I post additional info on the post, Click on "message board" for updated content.

Comment

I agree with Bob W. I have been through this before. Believe me our Software companies will be ready long before the IRS. I will do everything I can to have everything ready to efile, as soon as we can. I will let my clients know that I can not e-file until IRS will allow it. I will also tell them if there are any changes I will contact them, and will probably have a new 8879 for them to sign, I will e-mail that new 8879 to them. This has worked fine before when we had this delay. The first clients usually don't use Schedule A anyway.

Comment

Maybe I will take the appointments, enter the data, but not print the return or give the client the e-file authorization until IRS is ready to accept the returns.

I've had returns change on me in the past where the client took along time to sign the e-file authorization. After getting it back, I re-checked the results and discovered the software was updated in the meantime and changed the results.

Comment

Originally posted by BOB W View Post
              I'm having them sign the 8879.
              Does this run afoul of the "stockpiling" prohibition described in Pub 1345, or would it be considered collecting returns prior to the e-file startup date?
              Last edited by BP.; 01-03-2011, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Looks like TT, for one, will be stockpiling finished returns until filing is approved.

Comment

Our Fault

Our clients/customers will not have a clue. This is important information from the IRS but it is not cannon fodder for the six-o-clock news. Even if they broadcast it no one would listen.

They won't realize the problem is with the IRS, and going a step further, even the IRS is not to blame for the 11th-hour theatrics of Congress.

The biggest target for this particular problem will be the early filers, or in general, those who have large refunds and want their money back pronto. One possible alternative is to process without Sch. A to get refund, and then amend with Sch. A later on a 1040X (paper return) and get more money back later. From my experience, I believe this to be a poor alternative, but some of the early crowd will just hold their breath and die on the spot if they don't get their money back early.

Comment

I for one

will be printing out notice from IRS (IR-2010-126) and posting it on the bulletin board (or maybe handing out to clients) so that they will be able to SEE for themselves who is AT FAULT!

Comment

Originally posted by BP. View Post
                      Does this run afoul of the "stockpiling" prohibition described in Pub 1345, or would it be considered collecting returns prior to the e-file startup date?
                      Stockpiling? IRS/congress has given us no choice.

All my returns are done with the client in front of me. We both can see the screen and each of us monitor my entries. When my client signs the 8879 they are well aware of its contents. Those few returns that I do without the client, get their copy of the tax return and the 8879 to sign and send back to me with a check. For all returns, I mail them their copy next day and wait several days after the appointment before I ELF the return. Too many "I found something else" and it gives them time to do any futher review.

Comment

Originally posted by luke View Post
                        will be printing out notice from IRS (IR-2010-126) and posting it on the bulletin board (or maybe handing out to clients) so that they will be able to SEE for themselves who is AT FAULT!
                        I have already E-Mail some of my clients IR-2010-126, I keep on telling my clients it's better to pay then get a refund. Just because of these kind of situation.

Comment

extensions?

Not if I can help it. My motto is "Take no prisoners and prepare no extensions."
                          I just like to be free the first 15 days of October to travel.

(How's Minnesoty that time of year?)
                          ChEAr$,
                          Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Originally posted by ChEAr$ View Post
                            I just like to be free the first 15 days of October to travel.

(How's Minnesoty that time of year?)
                            Actually, it is very popular for those of us in Minnesota to take a Caribbean cruise in January or February. Maybe I'm thinking this might be a good year to start.

Comment

Originally posted by Bees Knees View Post
                              IRS says not even to transmit a Schedule A return until mid to late February.

The problem is, if I enter all the data into the program ahead of time and have the client sign the e-file authorization, there is a chance our software may get updated between that time and mid to late February when we can transmit the return to IRS.

I'm not sure I even want to do that because if the software company takes its time working out all possible bugs, I can't trust the return is going to be accurate if I prepare it ahead of time.

I've decided to tell all my clients I won't even start entering data until after IRS is ready. I may be putting many on extension this year. Maybe now is a good time to take a vacation.
                              I intend to input all info, wait until it can be transmitted, and not print or have client sign the 8879 until the return can be sent. All updates should make any necessary changes on the return and the 8879 will reflect accurate amounts.
                              Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                              X