late filling penalty for S Corp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

late filling penalty for S Corp

My client got one for roughly 1,275. How do i go about trying to get this abated?

We had filed the S Corp return by 9-15-10 with the 7004 extension form attached. This was the first year for the client.

The IRS did send us a notice stating that they accepted the late filed S election. I argued "reasonable" cause for filing the election late pursuant to Rev Proc 2007-62 and 2007-48.

Any advice on how to get this penalty waived would be appreciated.

thanks

I have had good luck by stating it was the first year and circumstances; work load, divorce, weather, loss of records, etc., caused the return to be filed late. Promise better complience in the future.
    In other words, a democratic government is the only one in which those who vote for a tax can escape the obligation to pay it.
    Alexis de Tocqueville

Comment

Last I knew, the IRS will give a one-time abatement upon request.

Comment

just call

Yes the IRS gives a one time abatement. All you have to do is call either the number on the letter or PPS and tell them this is the first time for filing and the first time being late. They will abate it while you are on the phone.

Had to do this a couple of times for clients.

Linda

Comment

Thanks

These posts are all very encouraging. I'll let you know how i make out.

Comment

Thanks. We got it.

Comment

Working...
            X