Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Applied for Renewal of PTIN 11/1/10-No Word!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applied for Renewal of PTIN 11/1/10-No Word!

I mailed in an application for renewal of my PTIN number on 11/1/10. Haven't heard anything back yet. Has anybody else that mailed in their application. Should I start worrying? Is there a place on the internet that one can check for active PTIN numbers?

First thing is did your check clear your bank?

I would start with that.

Comment

Behind

Fresh outa two seminars last week. One of them featured an 80-minute speech by guest speakers from IRS and Taxpayer Advocate.

They told us PTIN numbers are in process, but are running behind. In fact, in order to meet the January deadline, they will have to process 20,000 applicants PER DAY. They didn't tell us how many people were assigned. Of course, there were questions such as "What will happen if they don't finish by the deadline?" and the speakers had no answer for this.

By the way, the Taxpayer Advocate said in last three years, within the IRS, the budget for enforcement had risen by 18% while the budget for customer service had been cut by 7%.

Comment

why the &*^% did you mail it?

Comment

Joanmcq...can you elaborate

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
          I am not familiar with these symbols, please translate : )

Comment

Horror Stories of Online Filing

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
            I had read all the horror stories of online filing and thought I would simply fill out the W12 and mail it in. Probably would have done it differently had I known.
            Last edited by zeros; 12-10-2010, 09:31 PM.

Comment

File On Line

Is it smart to re-file online seeing that it is going smooth now. Think I would ever get the first payment back?
              Last edited by zeros; 12-10-2010, 09:31 PM.

Comment

6-8 weeks at best

When I filed by paper, I read it would take 6- 8 weeks to get the PTIN. I filed in late Oct figuring I would have it in mid to late Dec. You are looking at late Dec at the earliest.
                I chose paper due to the on line horror stories. A freind who filed a few weeks before me on paper got his two weeks ago or so.

Comment

PTIN Renewal

I called the PTIN number a few days ago and was told you had to wait out the 6 week period - there's no way they can check on "progress" until then.
                  Also - the depositing of your check is the last step in the application process.
                  Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

My mailed app approval by email today!!!

Oh yes. Same old PTIN. It only took about 5.5 wasted hours with the online system and no-help support and five weeks wait and oh yes $62.50. It does now appear that my problem was my surname is different from the primary taxpayer and the online site was never programmed for that possibility.
                    Christopher Mewhort, EA
                    mewhorttax.com

Comment

I filed the W12 on October 27 Certified Mail Return Receipt. IRS rec'd Oct 30th. I too have heard nothing! They'd better hurry --- 2011 filing season is just a stone's throw away. And no, the check has not yet cleared. Guess I'd better get on the ball and start calling tomorrow.
                      Larry

Comment

ptin

Would not go online mailed 10/13/10 check has not cleared Called Monday said they are doing fist week of October should take another 2 weeks.I have a total of 18 people including myself 15 of the 18 did online myself and 2 others had to mail in.All of us had prior PTINS should have been able to find us from our pitin it would have made more sense.

Comment

Kram - Did you get your PTIN?

Originally posted by Kram BergGold View Post
                          When I filed by paper, I read it would take 6- 8 weeks to get the PTIN. I filed in late Oct figuring I would have it in mid to late Dec. You are looking at late Dec at the earliest.
                          I chose paper due to the on line horror stories. A freind who filed a few weeks before me on paper got his two weeks ago or so.
                          Kram-Did you finally get your PTIN?

Comment

Ptin

Well I didn't want to wait until the last minute, nor did I want to be an "early bird", and IRS just updated the registration process this last week.

Just completed my online PTIN - and it went very smoothly - so guess they have all of the so called "glitches" worked out.

Took about 10 minutes - I printed out each screen as I progressed for reference in case of a problem, received online confirmation - received my existing PTIN #, they have my payment by credit card which I just received confirmation by email and I am good until December 2011.

Sandy

Comment

Ptin

I filed onlne on Nov 30, got an immediate charge to my credit card, but no immediate PTIN. Received an email "Welcome" letter today with the same PTIN I have been using since 1998.

Comment

Working...
                              X