NT -- Paper/Rock/Scissors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT -- Paper/Rock/Scissors

I understand that Scissors can beat Paper, and I get how Rock can beat Scissors, but there's no way Paper can beat Rock. Paper is supposed to magically wrap around Rock leaving it immobile? Why can't Paper do this to Scissors? Forget Scissors, why can't Paper do this to People? Why isn't notebook paper constantly suffocating students while they take notes in class?

I'll tell you why: because Paper can't beat anybody; a Rock would tear Paper up in 2 seconds. When I play Rock/Paper/Scissors, I always choose Rock. Then when somebody claims to beat me with their Paper I can punch them in the face with my already clenched fist and say, "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought Paper would protect you!"
    If you loan someone $20 and never see them again, it was probably worth it.

Rita

Rita you're losing it. Hope you come to your senses before filing season starts....

Comment

Rita: Don't forget the residual power effect that paper has. If you punch them in the face, then shortly thereafter you may be served with a special kind of paper that could hurt you more than the rock did them.
      "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

I see

Oh. OHHHH.

Comment

The way it goes is...

Scissors cuts paper.
          Rock breaks scissors.
          Paper covers rock.

If we're all a bit flaky now, what will it be like in April?
          Evan Appelman, EA

Comment

Yeah

Originally posted by appelman View Post
            Paper covers rock.
            That's what they want us to think.
            Last edited by RitaB; 12-07-2010, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Aha!

Well, now, here ya go, Paper People:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

How this relates to the latest debate on extending the Bush tax cuts.

I think you have to understand the symbolisms here before you can understand why paper covers rock, rock crushes scissors, and scissors cuts paper.

Rock symbolizes power by force.
                Scissors symbolizes power by political compromise.
                Paper symbolizes power by economics.

Thus, Scissors cuts paper, in that political deal making (cutting a deal) is constantly attempting to influence the natural economic systems at work. Extend unemployment benefits in an attempt to boost the economy. Extend tax cuts in an attempt to influence the economy. Political deal making, such as what is currently going on over how to extend the Bush Tax cuts, can dictate how much after tax money we have in our pockets, which in turn affects the economy.

Rock crushes scissors, in that force (being strong as a rock), either by a military force, or having one political party voted in as the majority, can crush any attempts at political compromise (scissors). If the Democrats had just a few more seats in the Senate, they would not have to worry about a GOP filibuster, thus, they could have passed a tax package to their liking without having to compromise with the GOP. They would have had the force to have their way without the opposition being able to stop them.

Paper covers rock, in that a military force needs funding to exist (paper money, financial instruments, etc). Likewise, a political party needs funding to get elected. Thus, power by military or political majority is often dependent on having enough economic power to defeat the opposition.

Thus, the never ending struggle between these three forces is played out over and over again in the constant struggle to get the upper hand.
                Last edited by Bees Knees; 12-08-2010, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Great analogy - I love it. But I'll take exception to one point. At present, there's no potential filibuster problem. The makeup of the present Congress is exactly the same as the makeup of the COngress that passed Obamacare over the objections of the public. They still have the power; they just don't have the political will to follow through. The root problem for the Democrats is that there are DEMOCRATS who won't go along.

So we really can't blame the Republicans until after the lame duck Congress ends. Whether one agrees with it or not, the reason this is happening is because the Democrats won't stick to their so-called principles. They had to stick their finger in the wind in order to decide what to say their core values are. If there's blame to be assigned, let's lay it squarely where it belongs.

And once this passes, let's please call them what they are -> the Bush-Obama tax cuts. That's going to be real important as 2012 rolls around.
                  Last edited by JohnH; 12-08-2010, 12:01 PM.
                  "The only function of economic forecasting is to make astrology look respectful" - John Kenneth Galbraith

Comment

Originally posted by JohnH View Post
                    But I'll take exception to one point. At present, there's no potential filibuster problem. The makeup of the present Congress is exactly the same as the makeup of the COngress that passed Obamacare over the objections of the public. They still have the power; they just don't have the political will to follow through.

The analogy still works, when you consider that the game symbolizes a particular situation at any given moment in time. Rock crushes scissors was the situation back when the Democrats had the votes to overcome a Republican filibuster during the health care debate. Political compromise (scissors) was crushed by the power (rock) Democrats had at the time to prevent a filibuster. The Democrats remained united at the time, thus giving them the political situation to defeat the Republican filibuster and have their way without compromise.

In our current situation where they are trying to pass tax legislation, the Democratic power (rock) is taken out of the picture because Obama and conservative Democrats compromised (scissors) with the GOP. Democratic power (rock) was not played because the Democrats are no longer united. With rock out of the picture, we are dealing with compromise (scissors) influencing economics (paper) in that whatever the final compromise turns out to be directly effects the amount of take home pay we all have after the "cutting a deal with the enemy" is finalized. The level of take home pay directly affects the economy.

Paper covers rock may occur in the next election, as both parties gear up to try to gain control. Political power (rock) is dependent on how much money (paper) can be raised to fund their political campaigns. Paper covers rock in that a political campaign is directly dependent on how much money can be raised. Thus, you can't gain power (rock) without money (paper).

Comment

Agree - 100%.
                      In politics, principles are governed by how much money flows into the campaign coffers. When those prospects change, so do one's principles. Gotta keep that finger up to figure out which way the wind is blowing, otherwise no politician would ever be able to make a statement about what he/she "believes." The problem arises when the winds shift.
                      Last edited by JohnH; 12-08-2010, 12:53 PM.

Comment

John said: The RESULT of a business is a satisfied customer." - Peter Drucker

Drucker said a lot of things, and the old adage is still mostly true:
                        "The customer is king."

However the result of OUR business is a satisfied client even after we've told him he cannot deduct all those gifts to individuals as charitable contributions and he leaves smiling vowing to come back next year.
                        ChEAr$,
                        Harlan Lunsford, EA n LA

Comment

Working...
                        X