FYI: Google Chrome browser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FYI: Google Chrome browser

New version of Chrome has it's own PDF viewer which the online taxbook doesn't like. Sigh.. back to Internet Explorer for a while.

Purpose of Chrome

Outwest, I believe the purpose of creating Google Chrome was to provide us with a browser much less robust than IE.

Why would we want something less robust? For most of us, we realize that the powerful browser brings elaborate advertisements and flashing features screaming commercial messages at us. Google Chrome brings me a very fast download, which usually includes what I want to access, and does not waste extra time bringing me these flashing advertisements, often instead showing me a box with an "X" instead of the crap some other party wants to bog down the site.

Because we want only salient, relevant information with Chrome, it is necessary that some features will be non-functional. Sometimes this non-functionality applies to downloads that we really want. Chrome is a stripped-down browser and this is intentional. I enjoy using it to avoid the extra unwanted garbage, but it boils down to not being able to "pick and choose" the features we want or don't want.

Comment

I actually use 3 different browsers: Chrome for most of my browsing, Firefox for employment online payments and banking and IE for those times when I absolutely have to, which is not often. Firefox is still much faster than IE.

Comment

Browsers

I have five browsers: IE, Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Seamonkey.
        I almost never use IE. Generally I use Firefox. Seamonkey is somehow related to firefox with a few less bells and whistles and works a little faster.

Comment

Not complaining about Chrome..

or the taxbook. it was just a FYI. I am kind of sad because I like the feel and speed of Chrome. Oh well, no big deal.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only experimenter out there though.

Comment

Does Google Chrome allow you to specify reading PDF's outside the browser, and if so, does it allow you to specify which reader? I never read PDFs within the browser, because the interactions get messed up and because the combination takes too much screen real estate.

Any full-featured browser will have some mechanism for external applications, such as the Adobe Reader, QuickTime, Flash, etc. In the case of the Adobe Reader, it has a setting to let you read links from the browser in a full Adobe window. I've never used Google Chrome, but in theory it ought to have a similar mechanism to tell it that you want to use the external Adobe Reader instead of the built-in PDF reader.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder..

typing "about: plugins" in the Chrome address bar let me enable the standard adobe reader instead. Little geeky I guess but a once only deal.

All's well that ends well.

Comment

Working...
              X