NT Security Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NT Security Software

I'm looking for recommendations for security software to use on a Windows Seven Laptop. I'd like as much detail as anyone cares to share on what they have tried and liked or didn't like and why.

My current main program is Kaspersky Internet Security. I use its firewall and its various active scanning features. I also have Malwarebytes free edition and the paid version of Lavasoft Ad Aware but naturally I keep their active scanning turned off unless I am specifically running a scan with one. I do run complete scans of all my hard drives with all three programs weekly. I have a license for the paid version of Spybot S & D but I have not installed it on this newer computer. Oh and of course Windows Defender is built in to Windows Seven and I have scanned with it from time to time and likewise I keep its active functions turned off so as not to conflict with Kaspersky.

The reason for my question is that I'm currently ticked at Kaspersky. The software won't update because somehow it thinks that the license says it just started today and it knows better. In other words a malfunction in the subroutines designed to prevent use of the software if pirated have impinged on my use even though I paid. This is also the second time in three years of running the program that I have had to contact tech support. The previous time I had installed a newer year's version over an older year's version but the result was unstable and I ended up doing a clean reinstall. Since this is the second time in three years I'm leaning against being willing to play with it much and toward getting something else. If there is anyone out there who would seriously consider keeping a software package that had two major glitches in three years, I'd like to hear from you. On the other hand I don't especially want to go with Norton because they had similar problems several years ago and I must have done the clean reinstall four or five times before I got tired of it and went to something else. And I have tried Trend Micro AVG and McAfee and found that they all let bad stuff on my computer. The one good thing I have to say about Kaspersky is that in the three years I've run it on three computers at a time I've had no major problems with malware. On the other hand I have a friend who is about to complete his BS in IT with a focus on networking and who raves about both Norton and Eset.

So what advice do people have for me?

Windows 7 has MicroSoft Security Essentials which is free but you must turn it ON and it works well. Recently it was rated the BEST in a survey of free and PAID programs.

Trend Micro slowed my computer. Norton was a pain to uninstall. McAfee would not operate properly after I paid for it. A year later they charged my credit card again although I never got it to work. I finally got the charge reversed. And now many of such programs which were free are now charging a fee.
    Last edited by dyne; 11-29-2010, 04:31 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I don't like Norton either, so I switched to Avira for Anti-Virus.I believe this is one of the best out there as far as thoroughness goes and I find the Tech.Support helpful. Only downside is that they are in Germany and operate at that time zone. Don't know about Windows 7 though but will find out soon since I am buying a new computer.

As firewall I use Comodo and everything seems to work well since a number of years.

Comment

Kaspersky working again

Kaspersky is working again. I think it was a problem on their end that they fixed and I see no reason to think that my complaints and their form email responses or my counter responses played any role in their fixing it.

I guess I have had two problems in three years. I ended up doing an uninstall and reinstall the first time and this time after a weekend when my protection was not up to par the problem got fixed. Am I wrong to consider this level of trouble from a security package as grounds for considering a change? Kaspersky has not let anything bad get on my computer. Of the other packages I have used Norton had similar issues only worse in addition to slowing machines down and Trend Micro AVG and McAfee all let bad things get by them.

Comment

Stop Virus

Windows Security Essential and Avast,,they are both FREE and keep your computer from gettin sick. Avast is a great program and updates daily, you won't even know it's running untill it does it's job.
          Last edited by RLymanC; 11-28-2010, 11:03 PM.
          Confucius say:
          He who sits on tack is better off.

Comment

Avast is not free for commercial use.

Comment

Unless you don't have genuine Microsoft software on your machine or need the greater flexibility of a product like Comodo Firewall or Norton Internet Security, I do not think you can find a better product than Microsoft Security Essentials right now.
              Doug

Comment

I've been using Kaspersky Internet Security and it has yet to fail me - has protected me and I have not had any infections at all for a couple years. Being a tech myself, the three I would recommend are Kasperky, AVG, and Microsoft Security Essentials. I've installed AVG (paid version) on a couple computers after cleaning them and those clients have been very happy. I just recently installed Microsoft Security Essentials because the AVG wouldn't install due to a prob - and found it to be quite good too.

I use Kaspersky just because I'm used to it and I know the in's and out's of it and customizing settings/exclusions, etc.

~Maria
                Maria R., CRTP
                Los Angeles, CA
                Software Used: ProSeries since 2008

Comment

Comodo Internet Security

I had been using Kaspersky on my laptop due to my laptop's small amount of memory and Kaspersky's effiicient implementation. It is a quality product. The only troublesome feature about it that I saw was that occasionally their servers would get bogged down and a signature update would go on seemingly forever.

Regarding other free products, I wanted to note that the free version of Comodo Internet Security is available for commercial use according to their EULA.
                  Comodo Internet Security (CIS) may be used royalty-free for both commercial and personal use. CIS includes the Comodo Firewall and Antivirus products. No technical or customer support is provided for CIS separate from the Products described in section 2.5. Installation of CIS may include installation of additional Products. Use of these Products may be disabled until you pay for the Products.
                  I use it on my laptop now and have also installed it on a friend's machine who wanted to have an ethically licensed anti-malware product. She could not use Microsoft Security Essentials because she uses ungenuine Microsoft products (yes...I know this sounds stupid).

Comodo Antivirus seems to not be in a league with some of the others mentioned in this thread and others, and it will generate false-positives on some Tax Software files (I exclude those directories from scanning and use Malwarebytes periodically to scan the machines). However, their firewall has always been very highly regarded and they have some features that none of the other freeware security suites include. It is a rather complicated product, so I would only recommend this to someone who reads the manual or does not mind a steep learning curve.
                  Doug

Comment

MSE and Malwarebytes

Another vote for Microsoft Security Essentials. Free
                    Also Malwarebytes - also free

Dusty

Comment

I've had AVG & now have Avast on my laptop. AVG did let something nasty on. My new Windows 7 desktop came with Norton for a year, so I'm using that, although I hate Norton. Does the Windows Security Essentials work in conjunction with Norton? Are there any efiling problems with it?

Comment

Originally posted by joanmcq View Post
                        I've had AVG & now have Avast on my laptop. AVG did let something nasty on. My new Windows 7 desktop came with Norton for a year, so I'm using that, although I hate Norton. Does the Windows Security Essentials work in conjunction with Norton? Are there any efiling problems with it?
                        I have not had any problems on my machines running Microsoft Security Essentials involving e-filing or any other activity as long as you authorize the appropriate software to access the web. Microsoft Security Essentials will handle anti-malware tasks and use the Windows Firewall to control unauthorized network access. These products should not be used with the equivalent Norton products since it would slow down your computer significantly as everything would be essentially checked twice.

Some of the Norton products do dozens of other things which are not part of Microsoft Security Essentials. If your Norton product is set up to only do those things, there is a good possibility that there would be no conflict.

However, that being said, I never try to run any Norton security product on a machine running any other security software because I never know how much of my computer Norton thinks they own.
                        Doug

Comment

Working...
                        X