Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Society of Tax Problem Solvers (ASTPS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently received email traffic regarding ASTPS and was wondering if anyone on this board is either a member themselves or has a comment about the organization. I'm interested but do not wish to commit to membership until I find about more about them.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Aviator

Astps

It is worth joining if you want to go their seminars.The discount on the seminars makes joining free.The seminars are very good if you want to do representation.It talks about the nuts and bolts of representation not just the the theory.The boot camp is very good so is the graduate seminars.I have gone to both.

Comment

M Linder or Anyone

Has anyone done both NTPI and ASTPS and if so could you compare and contrast?
      Last edited by erchess; 11-21-2010, 05:19 PM. Reason: S in ASTPS

Comment

NTP! vs ASTPS

Originally posted by erchess View Post
        Has anyone done both NTPI and ASTPS and if so could you compare and contrast?
        I am curious also!!!!

How about the cost and time involved!!!

Thanks

Comment

Astps

I have done both.I am a FELLOW OF NTPI and have taken both the boot camp and the advanced by ASTPS. ASTPS does more of the forms and how to do the work while NTPI does more of the theory.In boot camp you will fill out 433's and come up with an offer for a OIC or installment agreement it is hands on.I enjoyed both and one year usually do one the next year the other.I do not keep trac of the cost of each.I am trying to do more representation because 90% of my income is now during tax season.I am also an EA.

Comment

As for a difference...ASTPS has their boot camps and other seminars on DVD. Their prices are more reasonable and you can do all the training at your convenience rather than having to wait for the yearly seminar (which takes three years to complete) through NATP.
            I am a member of both and prefer the ASTPS training options.
            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Originally posted by Aviator View Post
              I recently received email traffic regarding ASTPS and was wondering if anyone on this board is either a member themselves or has a comment about the organization. I'm interested but do not wish to commit to membership until I find about more about them.

I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,

Aviator
              Thank you to all who graciously responded with their opinions and other questions.

I at least now have additional information with which to make a decision about joining the organization.

Aviator

Comment

Just peeked at the website. Sounds very interesting and I am interested in the 2011 Boot Camp. I was trying to find times and location but couldn't, also not for 2010. I was wondering if it is about the same time of year and same locations or if they go all over the place. At this point I am more interested in a life seminar, which by the way is $800 after early bird discount for two days.

Comment

Speakers

Which of these speakers is the better one:

LML = Lawrence M. Lawler, CPA, EA, CTRS, NTPI Fellow, National Director
                  LG = LG Brooks, EA, CTRS, NTPI Fellow

Thank you.

Comment

astps

I like LAWLER better but you will do fine with either.To many was stories with Brroks

Comment

old thread

I am bringing up this old thread in hopes that at this time of year we will get some more opinions. I want to improve my representation skills and will need to decide between ASTPS and NAEA's National Tax Practice Institute.

I have contacted ASTPS with questions and ever since get their e-mails. Maybe their seminars are excellent but I thoroughly dislike their power language.

Does anyone have experience with both organizations? Also a clue as to the price for NAEA for first segment will be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretel View Post
                        I am bringing up this old thread in hopes that at this time of year we will get some more opinions. I want to improve my representation skills and will need to decide between ASTPS and NAEA's National Tax Practice Institute.

I have contacted ASTPS with questions and ever since get their e-mails. Maybe their seminars are excellent but I thoroughly dislike their power language.

Does anyone have experience with both organizations? Also a clue as to the price for NAEA for first segment will be appreciated.
                        Gretel,

In a recent NAEAlert, they referred to a program that is now available on NTPI program. Many of the sessions are available via the internet. I looked at it and it appears that you can view these sessions free of charge or if you want to get CPE for them, it is available. You can take the entire first year and some of the graduate level courses in this manner. It's possible that you may get what you want in this manner.

Also, they are selling "tokens" (I think that is the name) that can be used to pay for the courses. And if you buy the larger package, which I believe costs $192, the cost per hour cuts down to less than half price.

Just log in and got to resources.

LT
                        Only in government or politics is a "cut in spending" really an increase. It's just not as much of an increase as they wanted it to be, therefore a "cut".

Comment

Thank you, thomtax. I have a hard time getting anywhere on the NAEA website, so I will follow up on your suggestion. Twice I have given up already. Yesteday I wanted to get more info on the seminars sponsered by CA NAEA but only ended up on the screen from CA to log in, which of course is not helpful. I will be calling them as well.

Comment

Gretel
                            google NTPI program...it is kind of separate from the actual NATP site. Also my research of both programs lead me to purchasing the ASTPS DVDs. Cost me somewhere btwn 1000. and 1500 for the full program whereas the NTPI seminars are almost 1000 each year and take three years to complete.

As for the ASTPS marketing...I agree with you but I have found them very accomodating to my needs, so I just ignore it.
                            Believe nothing you have not personally researched and verified.

Comment

Working...
                            X