Registered & Pd for PTIN & received letter from IRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Registered & Pd for PTIN & received letter from IRS

I just received a letter from the IRS dated 11/17/2010 that I need to renew my PTIN for which I did on 9/29/2010 as charged to my CC. I even recieved a post card from the IRS about a month ago that my "online acct has been created to manage my PTIN".

Has anyone else who already paid for their PTIN, received this letter from the IRS?

Yes I received the same thing. Filed it in the circular file.

Comment

Originally posted by AZ-Tax View Post
      I just received a letter from the IRS dated 11/17/2010 that I need to renew my PTIN for which I did on 9/29/2010 as charged to my CC. I even recieved a post card from the IRS about a month ago that my "online acct has been created to manage my PTIN".

Has anyone else who already paid for their PTIN, received this letter from the IRS?
      Yes, same here too. Last month a card saying to renew and I already had and paid; guess real slow there. Gave me my old number too.
      SueBaby

Comment

PTIN Letter

This latest letter was a "mass mailing" It did not classify who or who did not already have a PTIN.

If you already have one, throw the letter out. If you don't have one yet, they are encouraging you to register.

I think it was sent from a different IRS office that did not cross reference with the PTIN office.

There are over a million people that need to get the PTIN and the IRS is getting worried because the computer system will not be able to handle the volume in the next month and December.

I have tried and tried to obtain a new one and they keep saying they can't verify me even though I have had one for years. There are a lot of problems with the registration system.

Comment

PTIN Problem

There are over a million people that need to get the PTIN and the IRS is getting worried because the computer system will not be able to handle the volume in the next month and December.

That's the IRS's problem. If they're so screwed up by not being prepared - it's not the practitioner world's responsibility.
          Uncle Sam, CPA, EA. ARA, NTPI Fellow

Comment

Ptin

Dear Uncle:

The IRS told me that I can't prepare returns unless I have this new number but since they can't authenticate me I can no longer do business and to stop trying to be authenticated.

I have had a PTIN since they originally came out and have been in business for 34 years and all of a sudden, I am no longer qualified to do returns.

Comment

No Receipt

I have yet to receive my PTIN Letter, and I have also had my PTIN for years. Not going to apply until after Dec 1, so my renewal will be scheduled in December.

Now I am also concerned as my EA renewal is also this year and that has been "delayed".

What a mess!

Sandy

Comment

I'm waiting

I'm still waiting. There are over a million PTINs out there, but something like 800,000 have renewed. There are really TWO things the system is authenticating. If your information matches your original application for a PTIN, you'll get your same number back. I know my business telephone number was different then, so have doubts. The first thing the system checks is that you're a tax PAYER in good standing, so they're matching your tax return information. If you filed close to the extended deadline, you probably need to use your 2008 information instead of 2009. If you're the second name listed on your return, hyphenated names have been a problem. If you don't have the same last name as your spouse, that has been a problem -- including the Sr. or Jr. after a last name that a husband would use but a wife would not !!! Sometime after Thanksgiving for me.

Comment

Working...
                X