2688 Where to file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2688 Where to file

I tried in QF and at the IRS website to find the filing address for form 2688. I couldn't.

Is it the same as for form 4868?

I filed some 2 years ago but can't remember.

Gabriele,

File the 2688 at the same location you file the returns and the first extensions for your state. For CA, that would be Fresno, but I don't know where you are located.

Dennis

Comment

Gabriele, According to the instruction:
      Where To File
      Mail Form 2688 to the Internal Revenue Service Center where you will file your return.

Comment

Efile it

That is another option.
        Snow White, EA

Comment

e-file 2688

I didn't even consider the e-filing on it even though I e-filed all my 4868's.

Comment

E-file

Check with your software company, my software co. (Lacerte) charges for extension.
            I didn't know this the first year that I E-file my extensions, until I got my bill, now I mail all the extensions.

Comment

Charge for e-file

Yes, ProSeries is charging too (well same company actually) but with getting proof of receipt it's worth it. Plus I pass this charge on to my clients. I charge $15 for each extention and would be interested to know what others charge.

And I am getting closer and closer to be a MEMBER.

Comment

Extension

Originally posted by Grabiele
                And I am getting closer and closer to be a MEMBER
                you need 30 post in order to become a member, your're only a few away.

I don't charge for the 4868,so far I haven't had to do any 2688, next year I'm going to try and not do any extension.

Comment

Charging for Extensions

I don't charge for extensions even though my software charges me $5. Maybe I should. We'll see what everyone else says.
                  Snow White, EA

Comment

Charges for extensions

Is that for efiling 4868 or 2688 extension forms. That seems like a lot, at $5 per client. I would charge the client.

2004 was the first year that I efiled 4868 extension forms. It was really nice, but I was only charged $1.00. I would pay for that in envelope, paper and postage if I manually prepared them.

I haven't found out yet what my cost is on the addl extension form 2688 for 8/15.

Sandy

Comment

Extension Cost

My business is small so I do pay per returns. The $5 is my efile fee, whether it is a return or an extension. I probably should charge.
                      Snow White, EA

Comment

Efile extensions

I just went to Taxslayer website and as of now I will have to mail my extensions. But I will call on Monday and see if they can't add that so we can efile them.

Comment

Fees for extensions

Interesting that quite a number of you don't think you want to charge for extensions.

I only charge for extensions if the client is the cause for it. I also review the figures briefly to make sure client pays some in if he might owe. All my extension clients are a pain in the bud and I can't even charge all the time before I finally can start doing their return.

Taking into account all the time I spend I probably should charge $100 for the first extension. And yes, I e-file my first extension and have to pay for the e-file.

Comment

theincometaxlady@hotmail.com

I would rather efile my 4868/2688 but the problem is that the return has to be filed on that EFIN with the software that I use(I have 3 EFIN). After the tax season, I bring everything to the year round office and just transfer my phones to the year round office. Thankfully, I have a post office that is just around the corner so the extensions are not a problem at all using regular mail. I charge $25 per extension on the 4868 of which $15 is automatically discounted if do the return. I do about 2 hundred extensions and actually complete about 150 of them before the august fifteeth deadline. About 13 get 2688 and the rest go elsewhere.

Theincometaxlady

Comment

I E-File everything that's allowed. My software vendor does not charge any fees for this so I just charge for my time.

Bill
                              Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X