Firewalls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewalls

A firewall is designed to prevent attacks by hackers and some virus's, etc. and your computer
    sending out virus's and information you wish to keep confidential..
    I just discovered that Windows Vista, Windows XP with SP2 and Windows 7 have a built in
    firewall which is turned ON by default. To access this firewall go to Start, then Control Panel,
    then enter in the upper right in Search the word Firewall. On the extreme left the word
    MicroSoft Firewall should appear. Click on this and you should be able to make changes to
    the firewall settings. Some routers have a firewall built in. Firewall software can be purchased.
    External firewall devices are available.
    Last edited by dyne; 10-26-2010, 06:46 AM. Reason: more info

Correct....however...

Originally posted by dyne View Post
    A firewall is designed to prevent attacks by hackers and some virus's, etc. and from sending out from your computer virus's and other information you wish to keep confidential..
    I just discovered that Windows Vista, Windows XP with SP2 and Windows 7 have a built in firewall which is turned ON by default. To access this firewall go to Start, then Control Panel, then enter in the upper right in Search the word Firewall. On the extreme left the word MicroSoft Firewall should appear. Click on this and you should be able to see if the firewall is ON or OFF and you can make changes to it. Some routers have a firewall built in. Firewall software can be purchased. Comodo Internet Security software costs about $44.99. External firewall devices can be purchased some costing thousands of dollars. This is new to me and I am NOT an expert regarding this. I thought many might find this to be interesting.
    And, of course, if you purchase commercial firewall/antivirus software (which is probably better in the first place!) then to prevent conflicts the Windows software for such is disabled.

FE

Comment

Also note that while your router may have a firewall built in, that doesn't mean the firewall is turned on. At our office we've had two different ISPs install their approved router with the firewall turned off and no mention of the fact. One of them was Qwest, which is a major telecommunications company.
      Last edited by Davc; 10-26-2010, 09:21 AM.

Comment

very interesting!!!

That is very interesting information to know.

Linda

Comment

Working...
        X